Whats the difference between Aru green tree pythons and sorong green tree pythons?? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Regular
Default Whats the difference between Aru green tree pythons and sorong green tree pythons??

Was just wondering if anyone new the difference between these two,
Just got one yesterday and im not sure which one she is...
1.1.0 Chinese Water Dragons (Zig, Zag); 1.0.0 Juvenile Chinese Water Dragon (Ysera) 0.1.0 Anerythristic Cornsnakes (Cassie); 1.0.0 Amelistic Striped Cornsnake (Sid); 1.0.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Sasuke); 0.1.0 Togo Starburst Baboon Spider (Amithyst); 0.0.1 Kilimanjaro Mustard Tarantula (Kasumi); 0.0.1 Pink-Toed Tarantula (Nyu); 0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Yuffie); 0.1.0 Green Tree Python (no name yet);
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Forum Citizen

I'm no expert, but I think Sorong's tend to have alot more blue in them than Aru's, so that alone might be enough for you to tell which locality she is.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Regular

Alright, thank you! Here's a picture of her, let me know what you think:

1.1.0 Chinese Water Dragons (Zig, Zag); 1.0.0 Juvenile Chinese Water Dragon (Ysera) 0.1.0 Anerythristic Cornsnakes (Cassie); 1.0.0 Amelistic Striped Cornsnake (Sid); 1.0.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Sasuke); 0.1.0 Togo Starburst Baboon Spider (Amithyst); 0.0.1 Kilimanjaro Mustard Tarantula (Kasumi); 0.0.1 Pink-Toed Tarantula (Nyu); 0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Yuffie); 0.1.0 Green Tree Python (no name yet);
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Gold Star Member

The difference between Aru and Sorong is that they are different localities. Aru gtps originate from the Aru island whereas Sorong animals come from the mainland in the vacinity of Sorong (a town). However, you can only really say its a locality animal if you have documentation linking the animal, either directly or through its parentage, to a specific location collection point.

Animals that don't have this documentation (i.e 99.9% of the animals in the pet trade/hobbyists collections) as said to be locality types, which basically means that visually they have characteristics that you could expect to see in a certain locality specimen, but that it's geographic origin is unknown.

The easiest way to tell a sorong type from an aru type is to look at the tail. A sorong type will usually have a black tail tip that is quite pointed whereas an aru with have quite a blunt tail without the pigmentation.
gtpgazza likes this.

http://www.fbh.org.uk
Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexchondro View Post
The difference between Aru and Sorong is that they are different localities. Aru gtps originate from the Aru island whereas Sorong animals come from the mainland in the vacinity of Sorong (a town). However, you can only really say its a locality animal if you have documentation linking the animal, either directly or through its parentage, to a specific location collection point.

Animals that don't have this documentation (i.e 99.9% of the animals in the pet trade/hobbyists collections) as said to be locality types, which basically means that visually they have characteristics that you could expect to see in a certain locality specimen, but that it's geographic origin is unknown.

The easiest way to tell a sorong type from an aru type is to look at the tail. A sorong type will usually have a black tail tip that is quite pointed whereas an aru with have quite a blunt tail without the pigmentation.
One of the few posts where I have learnt a whole lot of new information.

Ta
Old 05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Gold Star Member

I agree, good post! Do they breed together? Is this why it's unsure as to what locality some are?
0.0.8 Pandinus imperator
0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
Mantids
Idolomantis diabolica
Hymenopus coronatus
Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii
Phyllocrania paradoxa
Hierodula membranacea
Sphodromantis lineola
Alalomantis coxalis
Polyspilota aeruginosa
Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
I agree, good post! Do they breed together?
An aru and a sorong wouldn't breed together naturally in the wild as one is from an island off the mainland (the Aru) and the other is from the mainland so they are isolated populations...but they are the same species and they can be bred together. Nearly all of the captive bred so called "designer" gtp's are of mixed ancestry because they're bred for non locality specific visual traits rather than based on producing "textbook" locality type animals.

If you look at the different mainland locality types they are much more similar to each other (eg sorong and jayapura) precisely because its easier for them to breed with each other.

Quote:
Is this why it's unsure as to what locality some are?
No. You can only be sure of the locality if you have collection data giving the geographic origin of the animal in question. You can't tell the locality of an animal just by looking at it because all the will tell you is that the animal has visual traits which are characteristic of a certain locality...but given that gtp's are quite variable "looking like an aru" isn't enough to be able to say its a locality animal as it might have some other blood in it.

http://www.fbh.org.uk

Last edited by essexchondro; 05-03-2009 at 09:16 PM..
Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by clucyw View Post
Alright, thank you! Here's a picture of her, let me know what you think:

From my limited experience, I would say Sorong. But I have also heard the same as essex in so much that true locality specimens are very rare. Best we can do is see what is the dominant characteristic of the snake in question.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Gold Star Member

Cool, thanks for that. What are the majority of captive snakes? Captive bred? Wild caught? Or are they captive farmed?
How many localities are there?
Sorry for all the q's!
0.0.8 Pandinus imperator
0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
Mantids
Idolomantis diabolica
Hymenopus coronatus
Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii
Phyllocrania paradoxa
Hierodula membranacea
Sphodromantis lineola
Alalomantis coxalis
Polyspilota aeruginosa
Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Regular

Yeah I think she is sorong; she has more blue on her and a very black tail at the tip.
Tbh, I dont' mind which one she is i was just curious or if it was really easy to tell.

She's just trashing her viv at the moment, dang heavys.