Reptile Forums banner

heating

254 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  vampyrdeath 
#1 ·
what do anyone use as heating im looking to alternate sources as heatmats are useless have got 3 and they are all rubbish do ok for a while then get alot colder after 2-3 weeks of use was thinking bulbs help?

#3 ·
I do use heat mats on almost all my vivs and they seem to do ok. I use a heat mat combined with a ceramic bulb for my bigger tanks which works well. You may want to give the ceramic bulbs a go. They are also good cause the snakes can't do the toilet an them! My boa flooded the last heat mat:whistling2: Not tried any other kind of heating

#4 ·
heat mats with boas, or any heavy bodied snake is not a good idea, the body mass can cause the mat to overheat locally meaning your stat probe may not detect the temp rise, leading to a crispy snake.

I have no idea why you would want to use a heatmat if you already have a ceramic set up?

to the OP I would switch to ceramic bulbs if I were you. You will need a ceramic bulb holder, heat resistant cable, a thermostat, and a bulb guard.

#5 ·
i personaly don't like mat's that much only use one and that on a rub which is only a tempary thing till the viv is built.

i prefere ceramics, give off a nice heat and can be left on all the time will no ill effect. going to try ahs heater when the new viv is built.

#6 ·
might try ceramic for a while,just built a 6 stack of 4ftx2.3 ft vivs so im looking for alot of heat btw i own a male corn 3.7ft 08 male corn 1.2ft and 08 sand boa 1ft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.