Reptile Forums banner

Just Seen Something Rather Worrying - Advise Please?

2K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  jaxxy 
#1 ·
I've just viewed an advert on Preloved for 2 redtailed boa's for sale, and I'm rather worried by the site that I have seen.
Firstly there are 2 snakes in a viv laying on what looks like sawdust, not a great start, but easily rectified, but its the 2 snakes in the picture that worried me.
Here is the picture, please tell me what you see and if you have the same worries as I do.

I have contacted the seller, asking 2 very simple questions

1. Are these the 2 snakes that you are selling?
2. Does they live in the same vivarium together?

Once he has contacted me I will know a little more, but that picture has caused me quite a bit of concern as I'm sure it will those that know why.

See less See more
#3 ·
I know what you mean but i have seen a few Royals and Boa's bing housed together. 1 being Drayton Manor reptile house where they have quite a large boa, a mid sized Royal and a vey small royal, fed in tank aswell not seperated. I myself would never ever do this but a few people do.

#8 ·
I know what you mean but i have seen a few Royals and Boa's bing housed together. 1 being Drayton Manor reptile house where they have quite a large boa, a mid sized Royal and a vey small royal, fed in tank aswell not seperated. I myself would never ever do this but a few people do.
Fair enough but that place is not a good example at all...it kept a dead anaconda on display for gods sake. Yes people keep them together, but IMO they shouldn't purely based on the different requirements.

But obv this person doesn't even know ones a python so it doesnt surprise me they are together lol xx

#4 ·
bit ropey that mate, some people just have no morals, i once get advised to keep a carpet python with my burm by a pet shop :gasp:

#7 ·
Looks like a royal and a BCI to me!
Very very bad, especially as cross contamination between these two species are known to have an extremely detrimental effect on both parties! Dont remember what the exact name of the syndrome is but I'm sure someone will post it up.

What an idiot.

#14 ·
Oh thats such a good answer :lol2:

I am awaiting his response, as I thought not best to tell him they arent 2 boa's incase thats just a random picture he put up of 2 of his snakes that happened to be in the same viv just for the shot. I know its doubtful but I dont like to judge until I know the full story. So I'm waiting to see what he says, then I'll tell him, erm that one at the back is no boa mate and either you know nothing about snakes, or your blind because you havent noticed they look completely different, or your selling them for someone else and they are a plank?

#16 ·
Surely this guy must have made a mistake. How the hell can you possible confuse a royal for a boa, especially if you have a boa that you can compare the royal to. A royal and a boa look nothing alike.

#18 ·
Surely this guy must have made a mistake. How the hell can you possible confuse a royal for a boa, especially if you have a boa that you can compare the royal to. A royal and a boa look nothing alike.
My point exactly.

As for worrying about misrepresenting them, I dont like it when people judge me so I tend not to do it to others till I at least know the full story, but believe me once I know the answers he'll know my feelings.

#17 ·
boa and royal

I once saw advertised a 6' Male Boa Constrictor for sale £60 in Retford Notts. I gave them a ring about it and went to pick it up, only to be faced with a skinny 3 1/2 food female royal in a 2 foot fish tank, its only heat source was a florecent tube that ran the full length of the tank. Eye caps, Burns the lot. I was told by the seller that it definately was a Boa Constrictor because the man in the pet shop told her so when she bought it, he also provided the "set up" as well. So nothing shocks me.

#23 ·
I once saw advertised a 6' Male Boa Constrictor for sale £60 in Retford Notts. I gave them a ring about it and went to pick it up, only to be faced with a skinny 3 1/2 food female royal in a 2 foot fish tank, its only heat source was a florecent tube that ran the full length of the tank. Eye caps, Burns the lot. I was told by the seller that it definately was a Boa Constrictor because the man in the pet shop told her so when she bought it, he also provided the "set up" as well. So nothing shocks me.
Nice, says a lot for notts people lol. did u buy it or tell them where go?

I couldnt wait any longer to hear back, so rather than do any judging, I just said, I'd like to kindly inform you that if you've been told they are 2 boa's that someone has led you a merry dance, because the 2 snakes in that picture are a boa and a royal python and more worryingly they shouldnt be living in the same viv together.

I have asked him to contact me regarding the snakes, so if i hear anything back I'll let you all know. I just hope the snakes are ok.
let us know when he replies xx

#20 ·
thats mental, soon to be a royal lunch, and i've got two royals and a boa and the way they are kept is totally different the humidity that my boa needs would surely give the royals RI not to mention the risk of IBD.
i would buy them just to get them out of the horrible considtions

#21 ·
I couldnt wait any longer to hear back, so rather than do any judging, I just said, I'd like to kindly inform you that if you've been told they are 2 boa's that someone has led you a merry dance, because the 2 snakes in that picture are a boa and a royal python and more worryingly they shouldnt be living in the same viv together.

I have asked him to contact me regarding the snakes, so if i hear anything back I'll let you all know. I just hope the snakes are ok.

#32 ·
Years ago I got called to a house In york to a lady who was having problems feeding her burm,on arriving at the house I was shocked to see a burm about 13ft long In a viv with a adult Boa,I asked the lady why was she keeping these snakes together and the reply was, wait for It,
I AM TRYING TO BREED THEM!!!!

After spending nearly a hour telling her It wont happen she turned round and said thanks for your help but you never know they might.

Some people make my blood boil and should not be allowed to keep these fantastic animals

#35 ·
Hi Retic lover. :)

I read and understand where you are coming from, but and it is a big "BUT" there really is not any difference between what that Lady is trying to achieve, and what occurs in reality these days, and is often placed on these forums by long term reptile keepers referred to as experts.

You only need to research all of the hybrids being created now, classed as "Living Designer snakes", and many forum members go nuts over them, or are you against this type of breeding altogether? All credit to you there if you are, and speaking out against it in general.

Mo. :)

#34 ·
Hi Timberwolf. :)

You are correct. :2thumb::notworthy:

That makes those two snakes an excellent buy in my eyes,and if I were in the market for both species, I would not be typing here, but instead, making waves in the hope of buying them both before someone else did.

The royal looks to be a very good size too. :)

Mo. :)

PS As for hating to jump to the bait like Pavlovs dog, please don't place yourself in the same category as you are more than capable of critical thinking, as you just proved above. It's more a case of helping others to see more into what appears at times to be all doom and gloom. That's all for the common good surely. : victory:

#37 ·
So has the OP heard back from the seller?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.