Reptile Forums banner

why the hike in prices?

1K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  BenjaminBoaz 
#1 ·
how comes the prices of reptiles, snakes in particular are now going up in price instead of down over the years?

id have expected the prices to have decreased especially with the fact the economic situation.

2 years ago it was the norm to get a normal royal for 25-35 quid, now theyre 55-70 each

why is it going up so much?

#3 ·
plus people advertise snakes for say £100 then if they dont sell in a couple of days they lower the price, then agian a few days later. this just makes people hang on till the price comes right down. if people just stuck to the going rate they wouldnt go down so much like they have recently

#19 ·
Hi

Thats a ridiculous comment the price has certainly increased on normal royals since 2 years ago and the morphs are totally different kettle of fish aas they can't possibly stay at huge prices as they become more readily available they will drop ,this other person is commenting on wild type royals and it is greed to breed morphs which has pushed up the price of wild type female royals

#10 ·
Its the age old ruler. Supply and demand.
Now the eggs have started hatching the prices will come down on the more regularly bred reps.
Rare Morphs are the in thing so the prices will stay stable.

Amazingly i have a long beach cali king which are pretty rare but no interest.

Such is life.

P

#11 ·
As I said, you can still find normal royals for those kinds of prices if you know where to look and WHEN to look.

How sure are you that yours were captive-bred, though?

#14 ·
i think the opposite has happened overall...prices seem to have plummeted!...look at morphs especially! jungle jag carpets for instance...a year or so ago they were £200+ now you see babies going at £150 sometimes less! on average....pastel royals a few years back were £300+ now you can get one for £200 odd, albino royals not so many years back were £800+ now you see them at £400+...when i brought my woma pythons (which i no longer have) i paid £1800 the pair! now you can get them at £800 a pair! and that was only about 3 years odd ago!...i am not sure why you feel prices have gone up?...but i have to disagree personally...i think the market is dropping out in a big way over the last few years.

#20 ·
i think the opposite has happened overall...prices seem to have plummeted!...look at morphs especially! jungle jag carpets for instance...a year or so ago they were £200+ now you see babies going at £150 sometimes less!
I am picking up an 08 pure jag, abharrent pattern today, £110!!!

Thats a ridiculous comment the price has certainly increased on normal royals since 2 years ago and the morphs are totally different kettle of fish aas they can't possibly stay at huge prices as they become more readily available they will drop ,this other person is commenting on wild type royals and it is greed to breed morphs which has pushed up the price of wild type female royals
Its not a ridiculous statement its an opinion. Just becasue the thread started out about normal royals doesn't mean it can't be expanded to the hobby as a whole.

Personally I believe you can still buy normal Royals for £30 - £40 if you know where to look. I would also say that on the whole prices have dropped rather than increased, however there will always be exceptions, some species will have increased, but the over all picture is one of cheaper prices.

#17 ·
thats bloomin good!

i knew my royals were CB as i went to the breeders!

but im not on about morphs im on about 'standards'

hopefully there will be some reasonable prices coming out later on this year then:2thumb:

#21 ·
I think prices will go up in the economic situation we are in, more people will sell there collections because of money problems so you may get some low price snakes this year, but after that people will buy less and breeders will probably breed less all because people will start to be more carefull with there money

#22 ·
If you look hard enough on the classifieds you can by captive bred normal royals for £35 each. The reason I am selling my normals this 'cheap' is simple - less hungry mouths to feed. I'd rather sell them @ £35 than hang on for an extra £10 - £20 while feeding them for months.

#23 ·
I agree ,my stance was that the morphs have forced the price of adult royals up , and people must be able to see that , for me to buy an adult decent sized female was £180 this year 2 or 3 years ago i bougth one for £50 and there was plenty about ,not saying this is wrong you pay the going rate, its simply a fact

#24 ·
at the end of the day people sell there snakes for what they want to get for them, some people sell for low prices to undercut others, as this usually means you will get a quicker sale, also if they are wc/cf or are fussy feeders they go cheaper,

i have paid between £20 for a cb baby to 120 for a wc trio, it comes down to quality, size, age of snake, also people are always after a bargain, if they can pay cheaper prices they will hold on, but also works other way, if they want a snake they will pay the price. an example of this is my surinames, i had a guy from other side of brigton travel all the way to plymouth for a quality pair of snakes and paid the asking price (which i felt was adequate for an adult pair)

the way i see it is that if i have bred royals i will sell them for the price i feel fit to sell them at, i currently have 4 eggs cooking and once hatched i will put the time and effort into them to get them to feed, hence why i will sell them as guarenteed feeders at £50 each,

#27 ·
Breeders have a price that they want. Is brb £90 this is their breeder price that they sell to you or shops. Shops double the price and add on vat .snakenow about £200. If there lots of breeders with same babies to sell price often drops to get them sold. Say £60. Shops then expect that price every year yet still sell at the upwards end of £200. Now a retile lover goes to a show and sees them £90 or maybe less - you not going to buy one for £200!shops don't really like shows much nor breeders due to getting undercut. I don't by anything from shops any more. I buy from breeders so I can see the set up. Get to see parents and make a contact and gets breeder price.

#28 ·
Like everything else, a snake is only worth what someone will pay for it.

If you see something you want, advertised a price you don't want to pay, make an offer.

If you get it at the price you want to pay, then that's what it's worth. If someone else pays more and gets it, then THAT'S what it's worth!

Guy

#30 ·
Personally, I sell the majority of what I breed to shops that I know the owners of. That way I do not sit there thinking about whether I did the right thing selling them to Joe Bloggs who I was not entirely convinced knew which species he was actually buying.

#31 ·
I dont think the shops have much to worry about some people will allways look for a good price online or private sale but for me you cant beat going in a shop and having a good look at all the snakes holding them and then comming home with the best one knowing its sex and feeding records ect makes it worth the few extra quid, not that there is anything wrong with private sales just I prefer to go look for a healthy animal rather than look at a picture and a price online

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.