Reptile Forums banner

Blister disease - antibiotic and iodine help

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Demonique 
#1 ·
My royal has blister disease, I brought her to our local vet who has a little experience with snakes

He prescribed her with Enrofloxacin antibiotic to be given orally

I couldn't get betadine for her, so I got iodine instead

The iodine is a 10% solution, what percentage solution is safe for snakes? I'll water it down to that safe percentage

#5 ·
You've been told already what the majority do and the results go from 1:5 ratio up to 1:10 ratio...why keep asking? Iodine will not cause issues neat, but will sting like hell, so as i had already said, and others, go with 1:10 to be safe, and increase the concentration if you discover that you should.
Hope the blister disease clears up soon enough.
To prevent further outbreaks of this condition, use the iodine you got from the vets in a 1:10 concentration to clean out the viv once per week, at least while the condition clears up as this should help keep any bacteria at bay.

#6 ·
I didn't get it from the vet's I got it from a chemist.

The iodine I got isn't neat iodine either, it says on the bottle that it's a 10% solution.

The reason I kept asking because no-one stated what percentage the iodine in the bottle was before they watered it down.

To be honest I find the first part of your answer rude and unhelpful.

What's wrong with wanting to know what percentage the label on the bottle says? I don't water to hurt my snake

#8 ·
Demonique,

Had this problem recently with a corn. Fortunately, I have a world class herp vet just up the road. He prescribed 3 injections of a broad spectrum antibiotic he gave first injection, I did the other 2 at home (not as easy as it looked, but successful all the same) at 3 day intervals. I also bathed the lesions with Betadine, a standard 10% iodine solution, bought over the counter at the local chemist for about £2. Considerably cheaper than the ones sold specifically for reptiles, which is infact the same stuff in a different bottle.

Within 2 weeks the corn had fully recovered and the pus (which is solid in reptiles) came away with the loughed skin, leaving a perfect snake underneath.

I would stongly recommend that you continue to use a 10% iodine solution (neat) to clean the affected area twice daily and keep up with the antibiotics. Discuss this further with your vet if still concerned.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Regards.

Jon

#9 ·
She's due to shed shortly, she's just left the 'cloudy eye' phase

Do you know what type of antibiotic your vet used for the corn?

The vet I used prescribed enrofloxacin orally as he said snakes can get abcesses if you inject them with antibiotics.
Turns out enrofloxacin is another word for baytril which is probably why the snakes he treats get abcesses with it.

Unfortunately according to what I've read online giving baytril orally is practically worthless.

She appears alert, but hisses when I apply iodine. Luckily the blisters haven't spread to any problem areas such her mouth or vent.

The vet I took her to isn't well-versed in reptiles, so I'll be making an appointment to take her to see John Bainbridge up in Dublin.

The blisters haven't gotten any worse since I discovered them so hopefully I caught it in time.

#10 ·
I have had baytril many times for rescue snakes, better as an injection in bigger snakes because they are to difficult to restrain properly to give orally. But I have used baytril orally and as long as you get in down properly it works very well. If you are in any doubt go for the injection course instead, just means a few trips back to the vets.
As for iodine a 10% solution is fine for snakes, just dont put it on neat as it will sting. Your snake will flinch and hiss as even a watered down solution will sting a little. Even though your vet isnt a rep vet they have done really well and perscribed exactly what a rep vet would. Just a note that you havent mentioned. You need to switch to paper in the viv/rub and change it daily.
Hope your corn gets better soon, blister disease just takes ages to clear up completely.

#11 ·
Oh, I immediately switched her from her viv to a tub with paper. I then had to change her water bowl as she began soaking in it.

How should I go about giving baytril to the snake? The syringes the vet gave me aren't that long

She's getting 0.1ml of baytril per day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.