Reptile Forums banner

My yellow or everglades rat snake

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  VikkiGT4 
#1 ·
Hi there just thought i would put up some pics of my snake.
I am not too sure if he is an everglades or a yellow any help on identifying him would be greatly appreciated.
I only got him last december and he does have a few scars on him one of which is a relatively large one but other than that he is a great snake.
He is very friendly and also a greedy little :censor:

See less See more
#4 ·
Im not good at Ratsnakes..you need Shithisto and Cornmorphs to come along! Looks too dark for an Everglades to me as well.

#5 ·
Looks like a "Greenish" rat (an intergrade between Black ratsnake and Yellow - or possibly Everglades in this guy's case).

The saddle patterning is WAY too strong for pure Yellow or Everglades.

#6 ·
Looks like a cross yellow to me, but if it has got a red and black tonge it's an everglades as yellows only have black tonges:2thumb:

#11 ·
Actually it doesn't unfortunately. All everglades having red tongues is unfortunately a myth. Some have red and some have black. It is open to debate whether everglades rat snakes actually exist or if they are a naturally occuring morph of yellow rat snake. It could be that it was a species but has all but disappeared since its range is totally surrounded by the range of the yellow rat snake and intergrading will certainly have occured. The snake that we label the everglades rat ( orange body, dull stripes and red tongue ) is not likely to be found in the wild and is unlikely to have a red tongue since yellow rat snakes all have black tongues... all you can really say is "Was the ancestor found in the Everglades" but the ancestor could have been any colour from yellow to tan to orange.

#13 ·
either way he's lovely :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.