Reptile Forums banner

Help needed... Corn laying

722 views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Sutherland08 
#1 ·
Hi as title, my female corn started laying her eggs today but she's only laid 4, she's a big girl of 500g + so was expecting more. When should I take the 4 eggs out? or should i leave them in there with her incase there's more to come?

thanks

#2 ·
It took my girl hours to lay so dont disturb her and check later. Mine had 4 at 7.30 and by 2.30 she had laid 16 x

#3 ·
i first noticed them at 15.00 this afternoon and since then there's been no more eggs, should i be worried or is this common, she's a first time breeder aswell.

#4 ·
like the above post says.this process can take time.if no more are laid before you go to bed tonight.gently take away the 4 eggs and put in incubator,try not to disturb the female as she will be knackered lol.

#5 ·
she's now laid another one as i'm talking so thanks for all the help. is it usual for a first time breeder to have a small clutch?

#6 ·
Hi,

As said before leave alone for 24 hours from when she started laying. 4 eggs is a very small clutch and I suspect there will be more to come. However, if by 1500 tomorrow there is no progress i would strongly recommend you contact an experienced rep vet in the first instance as she may be egg bound.

Good luck and fingers crossed that you wake up to a large clutch of eggs .

Jon

#7 ·
Thanks for the help, she's just laid another egg now so i guess she's just taking her time about it, hopefully i'll see atleast 15 in the morning :2thumb:

#9 ·
24 hours have now passed, and still only 6 eggs which is worrying, should i give her a bit longer or try and get her to the vets??

#11 ·
cant see anything but that might just be my inexperience with breeding, should i take the existing eggs out and get them in the incubator or just leave them with her?

#12 ·
I'd leave them in with her for the time being - try not to disturb her. Give her another 24 hours (in my opinion) then get her checked out if you're still worried : victory:

#13 ·
i would as u dont want them drying out but make sure u dont dissturb her too much

i would try and lift her to the water and see if she will drink for u

and then let her settle back down and she should lay some more for u

if no more eggs by 10 tonight try a warm bath and then if not ring the vet 2moz and ask for info with her and tel him how long she been laying and how meny eggs

are the eggs slugs cos slugs take longer to lay then fertile eggs

#14 ·
all the ones so far look fertile to me, ok will give her a little bit more time and then try her in a bath, thanks for the help

#15 ·
take the eggs from her and then try her with a drink it will get her energy back up too and she will settle back down

just make sure u are quite and gentle and dont stress her out

#18 ·
just had a look at her and there's a massive bulge near her vent so i'm assumin another egg is on its way, i haven't tried getting her out yet as dont want to stress her out.

#19 ·
nooooo dot touch her if there is a egg near the vent leave her alone with her eggs if she has another egg u start the clock again of 24 hours if not more eggs in 24 hours then ring vet if not and she has a egg in the mean time then she is fine

good luck

#20 ·
I can now see that there is an egg near the vent but she's having trouble getting it out, as she's been trying now for atleast an hour. Any ideas? Also she keeps knocking the eggs around whilst she's trying to lay, will it damage the eggs or will they be ok?

#22 ·
she's now just passed 2 which is good news, i guess she's just taking her time in laying. how will i know when she's empty and ready for me to take the eggs out?

#24 ·
ok mate cheers for you help, touch wood she keeps on laying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.