Reptile Forums banner

Anyone taken out a loan to buy snakes?

956 views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  jnr 
#1 ·
Just been looking on the classifieds and seen some royal morphs ranging up to £5k. Now i for one could only dream of having that sort of cash for a new car or doing the house up!

Question is have any of you guys spent £1000's on one snake or actually taken a loan out just to buy reptiles?!?!?

#2 ·
We've spent a fair bit on snakes - but if we'd had to take a loan out to do it, we wouldn't have done it. It was an investment in our case.

#4 ·
thats not really a fair comment when your talking a £5000 snake.

i cant afford £5000 on a snake but i could most definatly afford the £3 a week to feed it, even vet bills wouldnt come into either as a snake of this value would most definatly be covered on insurance.

my general view is not to take out a loan, but then it depends how bad you want something, people take loans for cars, houses, tvs, sofas etc why not a snake?? sounds perfectly plausible to me, how else are people supposed to afford them???

just my thoughs on the subject.: victory:

#6 ·
i would never take out a loan to buy a snake, however much i wanted it! however i am happy to pay for snakes on my credit card/overdraft etc, as long as i know i can realistically pay it back. i tend to spend a bit on my card/overdraft, and then spend some time paying it back before i spend any more. you just have to be sensible. it also helps that i only have a small overdraft, and a small credit limit, so i cant get too carried away!

#8 ·
Ditto!

I certainly wouldn't take a loan for a living animal. Just think if due to circumstances out of your control the snake died and you had no comeback, your then going to be paying off a debt for a dead snake for 3-4 years.

Only thing I've had a loan/finance for is my bicycle. I wanted to get back into riding, I couldn't afford to build a bike to my desired spec from my own pocket so I got a top of the range on finance which I pay £65 quid for 18 months. Unless it gets nicked which I wouldn't allow I can't loose out really.

#7 ·
I wouldn't but then I know people who have taken out loans for holidays which I wouldn't do either.

I'd rather just save for it or find someone who is willing to do a payment plan

#10 ·
I prob wouldn't take out a lone, but I have considered selling a kidney :lol2:

To be fair if you are investing in high end animals to breed and become a breeder, and its a business then most business' start up with loans, thers no difference. If its a pet, I wouldn't even consider it.

#15 ·
I've bought few boas on the plastic,(cc). No harm long as its within reason.interest free for 10-12 months makes it easier. Wouldn't spend £5k though! In 12 months snake would only be worth half that or even less. And what happens is something went wrong and it died? Scarry

#16 ·
Never brought a snake with a loan or plastic. But then again I wont buy anything I cant pay for there and then except a house. I see the expensive snakes and prefer to go back a step and get the hets or basic morphs that make it up and breed them myself to get that dream snake. :flrt: Makes them extra special.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.