Reptile Forums banner

de- barking branches?

678 views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  si_griggs 
#1 ·
any tip on debarking branches? i got a few branches from an apple tree and the bark is really tough and is a right pain in the ass to strip. it's almost like it painted on.

any tips would be good, i want to get this in asap but still want to keep my fingers in tact, been using a craft knife so far with out much success and can see it ending with a few fingers bloody or missing?

#2 ·
Won't it look better with the bark on? Apple branches are safe aren't they?

otherwise all i can say is - the dryer the wood is means the bark is more likely to crack - and easier to peel off. Try baking them? (if not too big) or dry them out more another way :)

#4 ·
Won't it look better with the bark on? Apple branches are safe aren't they?

otherwise all i can say is - the dryer the wood is means the bark is more likely to crack - and easier to peel off. Try baking them? (if not too big) or dry them out more another way :)
the bark is ware the nasty live, so i'm told. sharp knife not doing a good job at the mo, taking for ever only getting small slithers off

#5 ·
Well, usually I bake all wood for 25 mins. Larger branches I dip. I really dont know what to suggest other than that - Good luck and becareful with the knife lol.

#6 ·
if you soak the branch/log in the bath over night with milton, this will kill off any bugs, i fill the bath with cold water and put stuff in, i then chuck in 4-6 tablets depending in how much stuff is in the bath, since doing this i have never had any bugs from logs or re-infestation if it was mites.

#9 ·
Live wood is easiest to de-bark (at least with deciduous trees).

Slice along the length and peel.
(at least with deciduous trees). i have no idea what that means. lol. i have tried but this bark is like paint really hard to get off will try soaking in the bath see if that makes any differance.

have tried soaking my wood before (all store brought) in bleach, disenfecton and still got flying bugs coming out? that why i have gone to fresh wood.

#10 ·
as with any wood you buy - if you treat it correctly then you should have no problems, but nasties can come form other places too so it me not be the wood you buy.

#16 ·
I wanted to take the bark off a large branch recently and ended up soaking it for nearly a week before the bark came off easily. When I did get the bark off I then soaked it in a 10% bleach solution overnight, rinced it and and left it to dry standing up in the bath. The next morning I was amazed to see small piles of sawdust by the branch and realised that the wood 'chiggers' has survived all the soaking. To get rid of them I sprayed the branch with Provent-a-mite which worked. Next time I'm going to spray the branch with it as soon as the bark is off just in case.

#18 ·
I use a stanley knife. It's quite slow and I'll probably lose a finger but it works. And yes with live wood you can usually make a shallow cut down the length of the branch and then peal the bark off.
The bark contain most of the wildlife and pollution so should really come off. You can then leave the branch to dry out (sap not surface water) in a garage for a week or 2 and it'll be ready for the viv.

Another idea is to use one of those wire brush things or a flappy sander thing that attaches to a drill, but I haven't used one myself. Probably safer than a stanley knife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.