Reptile Forums banner

Help! corn eggs

446 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  kumqat 
#1 ·
Corn eggs most of which were clumped together when laid. Problem being some of them are slugs and starting to get mould on them so how do i seperate these from the good ones. Any suggestions welcome thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Well i have heard that it is really Difficult to seperate the eggs so ive heard that athletes foot powder is a good way of killing the mold,

Someone on here said try using egg white to seperate the eggs but i dont know how true that is,

Hope this helps

Tom

#3 ·
There is ONLY a certain type of Athlete's Foot Powder that is safe though! Don't just go using any old stuff as it could/will kill all the other eggs etc...

Ensure you find out which brand it is!

I'm sure someone on here will let everyone know soon...but I had to say something incase you have some in the cupboard and decided to just nip and test it out now...

#4 ·
There is ONLY a certain type of Athlete's Foot Powder that is safe though! Don't just go using any old stuff as it could/will kill all the other eggs etc...

Ensure you find out which brand it is!

I'm sure someone on here will let everyone know soon...but I had to say something incase you have some in the cupboard and decided to just nip and test it out now...

Oh i didnt know that, iwas mis informaed by a friend =[

If someone knows what athletes foot powder can be used it would be really helpful

Thanks

#5 ·
Two things to try:
Mold is most likely when the incubation medium is too damp. Set the eggs up again with drier medium.

Use a piece of thread as a saw to cut through the adhesive holding the eggs together. I got this from another herper who says it works, but I've never tried it myself.

Good luck.

#6 ·
You could consider cutting as much of egg off as possible with some sharp nail scissors or similar, just be very very careful.

#7 ·
Just done a bit of research trying to find the thread I saw this information on...

According to Maureen Collinson...the Athlete's Foot Powder that is safe for use with eggs is ''Mycil''.

#8 ·
I have never separated mouldy eggs. In my experience a bad egg will not make a good egg go bad, and its more risky to try to separate them. If other eggs go bad its because they too were infertile, or incubation conditions are wrong. Most of my corn clutches had one or two eggs that went mouldy in the first 2 weeks, then the rest of the eggs were fine.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the help. Think i will jusy keep my eye on them for now and hope for the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.