Reptile Forums banner

bending a heatmat???

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  hms 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is a stupid question but can i bend my heatmat so it will cover the floor and some of the wall of the viv? Im not going to put a sharp bend in it but enough to get a gradual 90 degree angle. The only reason i wish to do this is because the heatmat is quite big and will cover more than a third of the viv floor space.

Also does the heatmat go in or under the viv? I have made it out of 22mm conti board kind of material.

Many thanks in advance if someone can help out a newb.

#2 ·
In short no you can't bend a heat mat. It would be better to buy one that is the correct size.

Heatmats generally go in the viv, especially if the viv is 22mm contiboard (must weigh a ton!).

#4 ·
Also i do think you are risking fire or elctrocution if heat mats are inside the viv, as urine will degrade the mat over time. Fluids + electricity = danger. Much better to buy a reptile radiator or ceramic bulb at extra cost and fix it to the roof (although ceramic will need a guard around it) How big is the viv and what kind of animal are you setting it up for? Heat mats are designed to be underneath and outside materials such as plastic boxes where the heat will not build up so much

#5 ·
Heatmat

I have a 27" x 15" x 15" viv, and i made this for a corn hatchling. I am going to put a smaller container inside the viv until the hatchling is big enough to come out into the viv.

I knew this was too big to start with but wanted to be able to accomidate later on. As for the heat mat bending, common sense told me not to but i read on a couple of threads that people have done this. On the mat it says not to bend sharply.

I think for the sake of £15 Ill just get a smaller mat.

Thanks for the advice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.