Reptile Forums banner

should I be worried about male Royal weight loss?

419 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  markhill 
#1 ·
I have a late 06 male royal who has always been a bit of a hit and miss feeder.

Feeding records from oct last year are:
28 oct weighed 924 grams
then refused food until 28 dec (rat)
9 jan weighed 969 grams
ate a rat on 10 and 19 jan
refused again until 28 feb (jumbo mouse, all I could get)
7 march rat
18 march weighed 1012 grams
He's refused since 7 march and weighed in today at 932 grams

That seems a lot of weight (80 grams) to lose in that space of time.

#2 ·
Although it may be worrying its not a massive amount. 1 good feed would bring that back up. I'm not a royal owner but for the time being I would not be overly concerned about the weight loss. I would however be trying to find out why the snake is feeding so sporadically. Have you checked your temps etc. Try not to handle the snake until you have established a regular feeding pattern. Obviously you have not given a lot of information so more info may help to identify the problem

#4 ·
Was thinking that, our Royal has lost more than 150g after pooing.

#5 ·
All his temps are spot on, 92 f bask area with an 85 f ambient, humidity is generally 50-60%

He's in a 3x2 viv which is 15 inches high and is heated with a 100 watt ceramic on a stat.

My other 2 royals are kept exactly the same way, one eats well and the other I think may be gravid.

Incidently the one with the weight lose was the one that is the possible sire to the gravid one, so this could be a contribution.

Still doesn't explain the sparodic feeding ever since I got him.
I got him in 07 and for the first 7 months he only refused food 3 times.
since july 07 he has refused 40 times and has eaten 18 times so he has always been a funny eater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.