Reptile Forums banner

Nocturnal or diurnal - Boas??

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jordz 
#1 ·
I have seen loads of conflicting information on whether boa constrictors are diurnal or nocturnal/ crepscular. Does any one know for 100% which one it is??

Just wondering.

#2 ·
my boa just comes out whenever really.. sometime doesn't at night, sometimes has a wonder through the day.. sometimes dont see her for a day or 2.. i'd say a bit of both.. humans are meant to be diurnal but i find i'm a bit nocturnal myself at times up late :lol2:

#4 · (Edited)
I spent a number of months in Dominica for my post grad research and only managed to see a few boas (Boa constrictor nebulosa at the time, although the animal was recently reclassified to full species status and is now Boa nebulosa).

I only personally saw a youngster (around 3-6 months) out and about during the day, but others did see sub-adults moving around (hunting) during the day. I saw a number of larger animals on the roadsides at night (and one massive animal crossing the road at night). Most anecdotal evidence suggests nocturnal for the most part.

Incidently most of the animals I did see were spotted during the day, curled tightly around branches high up in the trees completely motionless. Most I climbed up and removed as they were spotted by the locals and they would kill them on site, so I would catch them, bag them and release them away from the village.

Just ramblings, but I would say more active on warm nights, occasionally found out and about during the day, particularly in shaded coastal woodland and rainforest.

Cheers

Andy

p.s. just realised that doesn't help you at all! :whistling2:: victory:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.