GTP, a little bit of the basics please - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 13-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Griff2294
Default GTP, a little bit of the basics please

Been looking at gtp's recently and have been discovering how beautiful they really are. But as they are rather expensive, before i start ranting at my mum for one, i think i should get some of the basic info in my head. How big do they get on average. I read on wikipedia that they average 3-4ft but in all the pics I have seen they look much bigger. Also I'm a bit stuck on humidity with them, I read that its ok not to supply a constant humidity but if you have a permanent humid hide and if you spray the viv 2-3 times a week it should be ok. Is this true?
Some other basic stuff and pics would be great!
Thanks all!
R.I.P Poppy - August 08 - July 30th 09

This is the best video in the world - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj0t1CHnuqE

Steve Irwin, all time hero.. RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Premier Citizen

That's generally not the kind of advice I'd give to someone. Most literature, including 'The More Complete Chondro' state that you should have an enclosure setup such that you can spray once a day, bringing the humidity up to 90 to 100%, and gradually drying out back to 60% (ish) within 24 hours. This cycle is repeated daily, EVERYDAY.

To achieve this you need to have a setup in place and experiment for some time with the amount of ventilation to achieve this spraying and drying cycle.
1.0 Kingpin
0.1 Pastel
1.0 Bumblebelly
0.1 Yellowbelly
0.1 Butter
0.1 Lesser
0.4 Normal
1.0 GTP
Old 13-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Premier Citizen
Location: In a world of my own, where only bats and Flipper can understand me!
Reviews: 2

GTP's are arboreal snakes, so a humid hide would be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

They average about 4' long, but some locales can reach 6' They require a fairly roomy viv as an adult with perches allowing the snake to choose it's preferred temp. They are very much a look but don't touch snake, as they are very fragile as youngsters and can be very snappy as adults.

Temp and humidity wise, a basking spot of about 82F with a temperature gradient from one side of the viv to the other and from top to bottom too, humididty shouldn't be constantly high. It's best to allow it to "cycle" throughout the day. Spray the viv in the morning and allow the viv to dry out through the day. They do need good ventilation.

Buy UK captive bred, preferably from a breeder, not a shop. Expect to pay about £375-400 for a neonate of a "normal" locale ( Sorong, Biak, Aru etc)

Avoid paying top dollar for so called "high yellow" babies as they change colour between six months and three years old and you may find that your High yellow baby turns all green.

Before lashing out with the money tho', get hold of a copy of Greg Maxwell's book "The more complete chondro" and talk to some of the breeders on here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartdouglas View Post
GTP's are arboreal snakes, so a humid hide would be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

They average about 4' long, but some locales can reach 6' They require a fairly roomy viv as an adult with perches allowing the snake to choose it's preferred temp. They are very much a look but don't touch snake, as they are very fragile as youngsters and can be very snappy as adults.

Temp and humidity wise, a basking spot of about 82F with a temperature gradient from one side of the viv to the other and from top to bottom too, humididty shouldn't be constantly high. It's best to allow it to "cycle" throughout the day. Spray the viv in the morning and allow the viv to dry out through the day. They do need good ventilation.

Buy UK captive bred, preferably from a breeder, not a shop. Expect to pay about £375-400 for a neonate of a "normal" locale ( Sorong, Biak, Aru etc)

Avoid paying top dollar for so called "high yellow" babies as they change colour between six months and three years old and you may find that your High yellow baby turns all green.

Before lashing out with the money tho', get hold of a copy of Greg Maxwell's book "The more complete chondro" and talk to some of the breeders on here
Sound advice but as per 'The More Complete Chondro' I would recommend a basking spot of 88 to 90F. Apart from that, spot on really.
1.0 Kingpin
0.1 Pastel
1.0 Bumblebelly
0.1 Yellowbelly
0.1 Butter
0.1 Lesser
0.4 Normal
1.0 GTP
Old 13-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Premier Citizen

GTPs are a LOT of care and responsibility, and mate no offence but from your posts you don't seem up to one. (Note: SEEM, not definitely). I believe you're just wanting every pretty snake possible and as they call it, wishful thinking. I was the same. I can openly admit, I'm not ready for a GTP but last year I'd have said I was.

They're not handling snakes and can be very nippy. Handling hatchlings can damage their spines and can damage them as adults.

I honestly think mate, you should stick to your plans of a Boa. If you want a humid snake, get a Rainbow Boa or if you want arboreal, get an ATB.
Old 13-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Griff2294

I was looking at boa's and saw gtp's and knew they were hard snakes so i thought i would make the thread 1st, tbh though i think i will stick with boa's, they sound more appealing in my opinion
R.I.P Poppy - August 08 - July 30th 09

This is the best video in the world - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj0t1CHnuqE

Steve Irwin, all time hero.. RIP
Old 13-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff2294 View Post
I was looking at boa's and saw gtp's and knew they were hard snakes so i thought i would make the thread 1st, tbh though i think i will stick with boa's, they sound more appealing in my opinion
Don't let GTP husbandry put you off. If you really want one I'm sure you'll do your research and look after if properly. However, I would advise getting more experience with other types before getting a GTP, but even a total newbie could successfully own a GTP if they do their research and dedicate time to the husbandry requirements.
1.0 Kingpin
0.1 Pastel
1.0 Bumblebelly
0.1 Yellowbelly
0.1 Butter
0.1 Lesser
0.4 Normal
1.0 GTP
Old 13-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to -k-

totally agree with the last post, they are not hard snakes to keep as long as you do your research and get the tank and humidity cycle up and running, id say my gtps have caused me less trouble than my red tail

get a uk cb though and dont get one if you are going on any holidays this summer... unless you can get your mum to spray em

also would reccomend the complete chondro by greg mawell

kam