Toxicity and Annoyance? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 19-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to Freakinfreak
Exclamation Toxicity and Annoyance?

Right, i've always wondered what is seriously not good for snakes/reps?

Here are a few questions people could answer if you have the time or any idea on the answers.
Thanks in advance

1) Do snakes/reps get annoyed with hoovers? Either if their viv is on the floor or on a cabinet, do your snakes/reps seem to not like it?

2) How about hairdryers? Do you have to dry your hair somewhere else if the snake/rep is in your bedroom?

3) Spray deoderants, are these toxic to the snake/rep if it's sprayed in the same room?

4) The viv is going to go on top of a cabinet which has drawers, everytime i open and close the drawers they shake a bit, will the vibrations annoy the snake/rep?

5) Noise - I have my iPOD playing quite a lot throughout the day and definately not always quietly! I know it's not about the actual noise but the vibrations, fair to say most of my music is death metal etc. so therefore pretty hardcore vibrations sometimes. Should i limit the amount of loud music in a day if a snake/rep is in the same room?

6) Is it best for snakes/reps to have light constantly unless it's night or does light not matter so much?
I'm asking because my room gets hot in the day so i put the blackout blind down which makes my room pretty dark, i turn a small lamp on sometimes but normally don't bother. Should the snake/rep have a light source during the day?

7) This is an odd question... but someone might give me a sensible answer lol.
If you have long hair, you will probably find that you moult a bit, i mean singular hairs sorta just being found everywhere.
If a hair got into a snakes RUB/viv would it be bad? And would it attempt to eat it?

8 ) Do snakes/reps tend to remember someone else who may not handle as regular as I do? Or will they lunge to bite them/scratch/show aggression?

9) When letting a snake/rep out of it's viv are there certain surfaces they cannot go on? I'm sure on a bed or smooth laminate wood flooring would be fine. What about carpet and rough slate tiles for snakes/reps?
Thanks

Last edited by Freakinfreak; 19-07-2009 at 01:57 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Regular

I think that post is awesome, I need all those questions answered myself. Just add one to it I will be looking after the snake most of the time and handling it, when my girlfriend visits she will be handling it to will the snake remember her after she hasn't visited for 2 weeks? Will it be more weary of her.
Old 19-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

1. Although my snakes do not seem to respond to the vacuum, my blue-tongued skink Loki went bouncing off the walls when I ran it in the reptile room.

2. My snakes didn't react to hairdryers at all; I've never tried using one around lizards.

Some of the others I don't have enough experience with.

Last question, though... I've never noticed any animal trying to eat my shed hairs, and that includes cats, which are obscenely attracted to Christmas tinsel.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Dave W Send a message via Skype™ to Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakinfreak View Post

Here are a few questions people could answer if you have the time or any idea on the answers.
Thanks in advance

1) Do snakes/reps get annoyed with hoovers? Either if their viv is on the floor or on a cabinet, do your snakes/reps seem to not like it?

2) How about hairdryers? Do you have to dry your hair somewhere else if the snake/rep is in your bedroom?

3) Spray deoderants, are these toxic to the snake/rep if it's sprayed in the same room?

4) The viv is going to go on top of a cabinet which has drawers, everytime i open and close the drawers they shake a bit, will the vibrations annoy the snake/rep?

5) Noise - I have my iPOD playing quite a lot throughout the day and definately not always quietly! Should i limit the amount of loud music in a day if a snake/rep is in the same room?

6) Is it best for snakes/reps to have light constantly unless it's night or does light not matter so much?
I'm asking because my room gets hot in the day so i put the blackout blind down which makes my room pretty dark, i turn a small lamp on sometimes but normally don't bother. Should the snake/rep have a light source during the day?

If you have long hair, you will probably find that you mould a bit, i mean singular hairs sorta just being found everywhere.
If a hair got into a snakes RUB/viv would it be bad? And would it attempt to eat it?

Thanks
I hope you mean moult lol I have long hair and dogs and the odd hair get sin the viv but (hopefull!) none of the reps have eaten any and it tends to be just the odd one which I pick out.

I hoover 3 times a day or more (when dogs are moulting) and my reps must have gotten used to it, they don't seem at all bothered.
They also don't seem too bothered by the music which we tend to have on most of the day.
I personally would just leave the room if spraying deodorant, as I don't know if it would cause harm but wouldn't spray it near my children. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 19-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to vawn Send a message via Skype™ to vawn

i haven't noticed if the snakes even register the hoover
i don't use a hairdryer (just cuz no snake reason (well it's bad for your hair!))
do not use any kinda spray in the rep room at all they are bad (bad for your skin too, i seen aerosol deoderant take paint off a door)
don't know if the herps notice the cabinet moving but try to stop it wobbling anyway, it's a bit safer
don't have loud speakers right on the viv, they find it stressful, other noise they don't seem to notice
photoperiod is quite important for the majority of life on earth it regulates anything from breeding to feeding
make sure i tie my hair up or they'll pull the damn lot out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegotheDestroyer View Post
From what I remember its going to be an unmanned mission...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBatman View Post
Because I'm in a moderately good mood.....

Old 19-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Opheodrys

There's not really a problem with noise as such, as snakes dont have external ears. Vibrations can stress them out if there's enough of them, walking about in a room or hoovering can cause a lot of vibrations. If it's only for a few minutes or so it doesn't really matter.

Light doesn't matter so much with some snakes, it's a good idea to make sre they can tell whether it's night or day, the important thing is the temperature, a that can determine night or day too.

Hair is never a problem for me, they don't notice it at all, and they definately wont be interested in eating it.

Hope that answers some of your questions
1.1.0 Anery Motley and Normal Corn Snakes (Pantherophis guttatus guttatus)....0.1.0 Pueblan Milksnake (Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli)....2.0.0 Royal Pythons (Python regius)....1.0.0 Common Garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis)....0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty snake (Orthriophis taeniurus friesi)...)....1.0.0 Black kitty ....1.0.0 Fiance

Old 19-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance

1) Do snakes/reps get annoyed with hoovers? Either if their viv is on the floor or on a cabinet, do your snakes/reps seem to not like it? Can't say I've noticed any reaction from ours.

2) How about hairdryers? Do you have to dry your hair somewhere else if the snake/rep is in your bedroom? Again, never noticed a reaction from them so I don't think it's a problem.

3) Spray deoderants, are these toxic to the snake/rep if it's sprayed in the same room? I've always tried not to use aerosols in the same room as our snakes - sprays irritate me enough, wouldn't like to take the chance with them!

4) The viv is going to go on top of a cabinet which has drawers, everytime i open and close the drawers they shake a bit, will the vibrations annoy the snake/rep? As long as you don't slam them shut, it should be ok.

5) Noise - I have my iPOD playing quite a lot throughout the day and definately not always quietly! Should i limit the amount of loud music in a day if a snake/rep is in the same room? As long as the music isn't too "basey". Snakes are deaf so it's vibrations that would irritate rather than sound.

I'm asking because my room gets hot in the day so i put the blackout blind down which makes my room pretty dark, i turn a small lamp on sometimes but normally don't bother. Should the snake/rep have a light source during the day? Snakes need a daytime/night-time cycle just as much as we do. If it cannot be achieved naturally, I would provide artificial light.

If you have long hair, you will probably find that you mould a bit, i mean singular hairs sorta just being found everywhere.
If a hair got into a snakes RUB/viv would it be bad? And would it attempt to eat it? Snakes wouldn't eat hair - my hair is all over the house and it doesn't seem to be a problem!

Thanks
Hope this helps a bit!

lisa

Click The Button For Our Personal Facebook Page

Old 19-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to Freakinfreak

Thanks, i'll be adding some new questions that people might not tend to normally think of so much, i've always wondered these so people's experiences would be greatly appreciated
Old 19-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Banned
Reviews: 10

Quote:

I always hoover the house as no one likes a scruffy room, never seen them react to it once

I dont use one so cant comment

I dont use deoderants or any spray near animals...only use polish and thats sprayed on the duster not into the air willy nilly.

shouldnt be any problem...i have vivariums that habe doors in them for equipment and such

5) Noise - I have my iPOD playing quite a lot throughout the day and definately not always quietly! I know it's not about the actual noise but the vibrations, fair to say most of my music is death metal etc. so therefore pretty hardcore vibrations sometimes. Should i limit the amount of loud music in a day if a snake/rep is in the same room?
Again shouldnt really be a problem...i ahve music playing right now and theres 4 ATB right next to me fast asleep

It really depends upon the speices of snake/reptile...i have some i keep in darkness 24/7 as the light stresses them out.

If you have long hair, you will probably find that you moult a bit, i mean singular hairs sorta just being found everywhere.
nope its fine

8 ) Do snakes/reps tend to remember someone else who may not handle as regular as I do? Or will they lunge to bite them/scratch/show aggression?
i personally believe snakes that are of a calm and docile nature react towards confidence rather than a actual person.

9) When letting a snake/rep out of it's viv are there certain surfaces they cannot go on? I'm sure on a bed or smooth laminate wood flooring would be fine. What about carpet and rough slate tiles for snakes/reps?
anything with sharp edges or made from pine.cheder should be kept away from...also carpets with grainy or lose fibres i guess
Personally the only thing vibration wise i can say my snakes have reacted to is my amps ....and that was sorted out by using an acoustic in the same room as them
Old 19-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Mujician

Its not a reptile annoyance, but my annoyance: Hoover is a company that makes VACUUM CLEANERS, you can VACUUM the floor, but hoovering the floor involes taking a huge factory from somewhere in america (I think) and wiping (possibly) on your floor. In most cases this cannot happen as most houses aren't bi enough to accomodate a factory sized building. Especially now as HOOVER seem to be making a lot of other appliances, not just vacuum cleaners. So, maybe when people say they have been hoovering the floor, they actually mean they have put their floor onto a tumble drier, or even possibly the dish washer. Or maybe you like ironing your floors, I dont know
MadMike likes this.