Reptile Forums banner

Big retic at Chester zoo?

4K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  Dextersdad 
#1 ·
Just watched Michaela's animal road trip on channel 5. Apparently the retic at chester zoo is the largest in Europe at 21' and the largest in the world is in a zoo in Thailand at 24'. Am i right in thinking this is way off the mark?

The one at Chester zoo they rescued from a private collection a year or so previous. They were moving it into a new enclosure and to do this they had attached a length of plastic piping over it's head and secured it to the snake around the neck with brown packing tape. To release it the bloke then cut it with a knife because he was having obvious difficulty removing it...............:whip:

#3 ·
california zoo have the biggest at 27' used to belong to bob clark they brought it off him for $30,000.

#5 ·
Chester zoo claim its the biggest in europe at over 20ft, i wouldnt argue with them as the girth on that thing is massive.

#8 ·
Isn't she fantastic? What a beast. I could not believe the size of its head... infact if you look at becci's pic.... and spot the smaller retic on the right hand side of the pic....compare the sizes of the heads!!!! :gasp::gasp::gasp:

Awesome!!!! I could have watched her all day.... she was quite lively! Best exhibit in the entire zoo for me!!!
Although I couldn't get a pic because of everyone swarming round the glass to get a look!!! WOW A BOA CONSTRICTOR!!!!!! :bash: :lol2:

#10 ·
steve d

i own a 12 year old female that is 21ft9 inches long and weighs over 120 kg but i wouldnt make the statement that she is the biggest in europe like they did its a brave statement to make when they dont know whats in private hands.i saw the program to and my female is definately longer and heavier i thought she looked approx 20 ft not 21ft 6 like they claimed i thought the string was loose when they measured her

#17 ·
i own a 12 year old female that is 21ft9 inches long and weighs over 120 kg but i wouldnt make the statement that she is the biggest in europe like they did its a brave statement to make when they dont know whats in private hands.i saw the program to and my female is definately longer and heavier i thought she looked approx 20 ft not 21ft 6 like they claimed i thought the string was loose when they measured her
Was gonna say, thought yours was bigger. Maybe they think it's the biggest in europe....apart from all the bigger ones. Yours is the biggest I've ever seen on the net apart from that 1 from Bob Clark. That was a moster of a snake.

Chris

#14 ·
I've seen the retic at Chester zoo a few times and yes, it is HUGE. Not sure if it's the biggest in europe though. I'm sure there will be a bigger one in someones private collection.

I haven't seen the 'taping it's' head, and I'm unsure on why they would need to do that to move it. I spoke to some of the staff there and they said she is pretty placid and easy to deal with. Does anyone have a link to that video?

#23 ·
steve d

to johnc79 the retic at cotswold is a male called barney and he is only around the 17 to 18ft mark he is greatly exaggerated by many people but trust me ive seen him myself and he is nowhere near as large as my biggest female or the one at chester zoo nice snake though

#27 ·
Largest in the world is 33ft. It's in Java at the moment I think. Initially claimed to be nearer 50ft.

Heading to the reptile reserve today to see the place now it's finally open. The last 2 times I was shown around it wasn't open and only had a few reps living in th enclosures.

Amazing croc tank!

#28 ·
steve d

to bannrikae the cold blooded rescue one is quite a bit smaller than that my female is 21ft 8in when last measured. the one at the rescue centre in rainham it looks around 18ft ish its been viewed by many people on this forum and the experienced people on here say shes not over 20ft as for the anaconda you mentioned i sold it to them i have pictures on my profile of her and my huge retic if you wish to see them shes the one coming towards the camera in my hallway you cant miss her

#29 ·
steve d

to dexterdad the largest in captivity unfortunately is nowhere near that it would be closer to 24ft despite all the massive exaggerations on the net etc.that one in indonesia that was all over the news is massive but she is around 23 to 24ft in length not 49ft that they claimed she was i wish there was a true monster in captivity but i not set eyes on one yet mate

#39 ·
to dexterdad the largest in captivity unfortunately is nowhere near that it would be closer to 24ft despite all the massive exaggerations on the net etc.that one in indonesia that was all over the news is massive but she is around 23 to 24ft in length not 49ft that they claimed she was i wish there was a true monster in captivity but i not set eyes on one yet mate

I was aware it was way shorter than initial claims (i.e not 49ft) but there are still conflicting reports on its actual length. Based on the size of the head alone I'd be happy to believe it to be nearer the 30ft mark. No other retic I've seen holds a candle to this one in terms of size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.