Reptile Forums banner

whens it legal to catch and keep british snakes?

2K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  boidae 
#1 ·
whens it legal to catch and keep british snakes?
under what circumstances?
land owners permission? does that mean only land owners are ellegible to catch and keep grass snakes?
if your areas not under strict conservation? what areas arent under strict conservation?
if the snakes in poor condition? do you need to varify a vet liscense?
or can you just go and catch and keep them?

#2 ·
:bash: just :bash:

#5 ·
its legal to keep them but illegal to harm sell them

#8 ·
Unless they are protected I'm sure you can keep them, you just can't sell or profit from anuthing derived from wc British reps.

My memories a tad fuzzy so don't qoute me on it.

#10 ·
only one snake wise is the smooth snake that you cant keep you can keep the adder but sure you need a dwa

#11 ·
I understand (but don't quote me) that you can keep them but you cannot sell them or their offspring. They are a protected species.

If you want to keep to breed you can buy CB grass snakes at the European shows but you need paperwork to prove they are CB.

#14 ·
you can catch and keep grass snakes, you cannot sell/trade them or their offspring.
Grass snakes can be sold after third generation CB but you have to prove they are third generation which may not be possible.

Smooth snakes cannot be touched under any circumstances.

Adders require a DWAL to be legally kept.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.