The ethics of snake breeding - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 22-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by naja-naja View Post
if the tubs are the same size as the vivs, and contain hides and water-bowls, then there is no problem. also, in the wild they hide in burrows all the time, only seeing the light of day to feed, so whoever said that about tubs has a moot point.
A "moo" point?

Yeah, a "moo" point...it's like a cow, it doesn't matter!

Sorry, couldn't resist slipping in a Friends quote there

It is a valid point though. I suppose if keeping them in a dark tub is exactly the same as them just hiding in a dark burrow then maybe it isn't all that bad after all.
Advertisement

Old 22-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Super Regular

The various defences for the RUB keepers are really hilarious I think. There is a big difference between people and reptiles, BUT the fact that snakes that are kept in RUBīs are eating and breeding isnīt a sign of well being per se. The reason for that is that eating and reproducing are deeply rooted in their systems. If you canīt keep them in enclosures big enough for them to at least try to stretch out then you arenīt keeping snakes for the right reasons!
The statement: "-they hide in burrows all the time so it doesnīt matter", really makes my day. There is a small percentage of snakes that has that behaviour in the wild, so you canīt generalise like that.
If size of the cage doesnīt matter, why donīt people keep all their animals in boxes so small that they can hardly move?
There is a small difference between animals rights and common sense, but try to use it.
Middleton Mouse likes this.
1.0 Antaresia maculosa
0.1 Python regius -08
1.0 Python regius -09
Severely wanting a Boelens Python!
Old 22-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffen View Post
The various defences for the RUB keepers are really hilarious I think. There is a big difference between people and reptiles, BUT the fact that snakes that are kept in RUBīs are eating and breeding isnīt a sign of well being per se. The reason for that is that eating and reproducing are deeply rooted in their systems. If you canīt keep them in enclosures big enough for them to at least try to stretch out then you arenīt keeping snakes for the right reasons!
The statement: "-they hide in burrows all the time so it doesnīt matter", really makes my day. There is a small percentage of snakes that has that behaviour in the wild, so you canīt generalise like that.
If size of the cage doesnīt matter, why donīt people keep all their animals in boxes so small that they can hardly move?
There is a small difference between animals rights and common sense, but try to use it.
you really are talking nosence. How many different species have you actually got experience of keeping & breeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Old 22-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Super Regular

I hate ignorant people, and I donīt open my mouth without reason! I have 25 years of keeping and breeding snakes, amongst others: Childrens python 1986 -95, Carpets 1987 forward, Boigas 1988 -93, Salomon boas 1993 -96. Besides that I have worked as a keeper (1988-1992)partly in a well known Swedish Zoo with breeding programs, and a reptile park in Holland.
RyanR1987: I see in your profile that you have a lot of big Pythons. Are they kept in RUBīs?
rita likes this.
1.0 Antaresia maculosa
0.1 Python regius -08
1.0 Python regius -09
Severely wanting a Boelens Python!

Last edited by Graffen; 22-09-2009 at 03:35 PM..
Old 22-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned
Reviews: 10

Quote:
in a well known Swedish Zoo,
i think i saw that film....that chick was hot but what she did to the tuatara was sick
Old 22-09-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
but why is a better enclosure more ethical

some people live in a 1 bedroom flat with no garden or garage and do completely fine....some people live in mansons and do completely fine....but you could then say why does a person need 10+ bedrooms when they only use one.
People can leave their home as and when they want to. The snake can't.
Old 22-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned
Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
i disagree,,,have you not seen the 20+ threads a week on "my snake escaped its viv"
Old 22-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
I hate ignorant people, and I donīt open my mouth without reason! I have 25 years of keeping and breeding snakes, amongst others: Childrens python 1986 -95, Carpets 1987 forward, Boigas 1988 -93, Salomon boas 1993 -96. Besides that I have worked as a keeper (1988-1992)partly in a well known Swedish Zoo with breeding programs, and a reptile park in Holland.
RyanR1987: I see in your profile that you have a lot of big Pythons. Are they kept in RUBīs?
so mainly pretty common species, that all do well with large spaces then.

I don't of anyone who would suggest keeping a carpet python in a rub, I also don't know any breeders that do keep them in tubs.
Old 22-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
some people are aggrophobic, so are 'some' snakes.