The ethics of snake breeding - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #11 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naja-naja View Post
if the tubs are the same size as the vivs, and contain hides and water-bowls, then there is no problem. also, in the wild they hide in burrows all the time, only seeing the light of day to feed, so whoever said that about tubs has a moot point.
A "moo" point?

Yeah, a "moo" point...it's like a cow, it doesn't matter!

Sorry, couldn't resist slipping in a Friends quote there

It is a valid point though. I suppose if keeping them in a dark tub is exactly the same as them just hiding in a dark burrow then maybe it isn't all that bad after all.
__________________
1.0.0 Royal Python
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Graffen's Avatar
Super Regular
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 234
Default

The various defences for the RUB keepers are really hilarious I think. There is a big difference between people and reptiles, BUT the fact that snakes that are kept in RUBīs are eating and breeding isnīt a sign of well being per se. The reason for that is that eating and reproducing are deeply rooted in their systems. If you canīt keep them in enclosures big enough for them to at least try to stretch out then you arenīt keeping snakes for the right reasons!
The statement: "-they hide in burrows all the time so it doesnīt matter", really makes my day. There is a small percentage of snakes that has that behaviour in the wild, so you canīt generalise like that.
If size of the cage doesnīt matter, why donīt people keep all their animals in boxes so small that they can hardly move?
There is a small difference between animals rights and common sense, but try to use it.
Middleton Mouse likes this.
__________________
0.1 Jaguars (Rockhampton)
0.1 Morelia bredli
1.0 Morelia spilota mcdowelli red hypo
1.0 Antaresia maculosa
0.1 Python regius -08
1.0 Python regius -09
Severely wanting a Boelens Python!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2009, 02:59 PM
bladeblaster's Avatar
Posting Deity
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gloucester
Posts: 35,069
Reviews: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffen View Post
The various defences for the RUB keepers are really hilarious I think. There is a big difference between people and reptiles, BUT the fact that snakes that are kept in RUBīs are eating and breeding isnīt a sign of well being per se. The reason for that is that eating and reproducing are deeply rooted in their systems. If you canīt keep them in enclosures big enough for them to at least try to stretch out then you arenīt keeping snakes for the right reasons!
The statement: "-they hide in burrows all the time so it doesnīt matter", really makes my day. There is a small percentage of snakes that has that behaviour in the wild, so you canīt generalise like that.
If size of the cage doesnīt matter, why donīt people keep all their animals in boxes so small that they can hardly move?
There is a small difference between animals rights and common sense, but try to use it.
you really are talking nosence. How many different species have you actually got experience of keeping & breeding.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2009, 03:03 PM
ryanr1987's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London
Posts: 8,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffen View Post
The various defences for the RUB keepers are really hilarious I think. There is a big difference between people and reptiles, BUT the fact that snakes that are kept in RUBīs are eating and breeding isnīt a sign of well being per se. The reason for that is that eating and reproducing are deeply rooted in their systems. If you canīt keep them in enclosures big enough for them to at least try to stretch out then you arenīt keeping snakes for the right reasons!
The statement: "-they hide in burrows all the time so it doesnīt matter", really makes my day. There is a small percentage of snakes that has that behaviour in the wild, so you canīt generalise like that.
If size of the cage doesnīt matter, why donīt people keep all their animals in boxes so small that they can hardly move?
There is a small difference between animals rights and common sense, but try to use it.
..........
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Graffen's Avatar
Super Regular
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 234
Default

I hate ignorant people, and I donīt open my mouth without reason! I have 25 years of keeping and breeding snakes, amongst others: Childrens python 1986 -95, Carpets 1987 forward, Boigas 1988 -93, Salomon boas 1993 -96. Besides that I have worked as a keeper (1988-1992)partly in a well known Swedish Zoo with breeding programs, and a reptile park in Holland.
RyanR1987: I see in your profile that you have a lot of big Pythons. Are they kept in RUBīs?
rita likes this.
__________________
0.1 Jaguars (Rockhampton)
0.1 Morelia bredli
1.0 Morelia spilota mcdowelli red hypo
1.0 Antaresia maculosa
0.1 Python regius -08
1.0 Python regius -09
Severely wanting a Boelens Python!

Last edited by Graffen; 22-09-2009 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 22,939
Reviews: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffen View Post
in a well known Swedish Zoo,
i think i saw that film....that chick was hot but what she did to the tuatara was sick
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
but why is a better enclosure more ethical

some people live in a 1 bedroom flat with no garden or garage and do completely fine....some people live in mansons and do completely fine....but you could then say why does a person need 10+ bedrooms when they only use one.
People can leave their home as and when they want to. The snake can't.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 22,939
Reviews: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
People can leave their home as and when they want to. The snake can't.
i disagree,,,have you not seen the 20+ threads a week on "my snake escaped its viv"
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2009, 03:40 PM
bladeblaster's Avatar
Posting Deity
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gloucester
Posts: 35,069
Reviews: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffen View Post
I hate ignorant people, and I donīt open my mouth without reason! I have 25 years of keeping and breeding snakes, amongst others: Childrens python 1986 -95, Carpets 1987 forward, Boigas 1988 -93, Salomon boas 1993 -96. Besides that I have worked as a keeper (1988-1992)partly in a well known Swedish Zoo with breeding programs, and a reptile park in Holland.
RyanR1987: I see in your profile that you have a lot of big Pythons. Are they kept in RUBīs?
so mainly pretty common species, that all do well with large spaces then.

I don't of anyone who would suggest keeping a carpet python in a rub, I also don't know any breeders that do keep them in tubs.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2009, 03:41 PM
bladeblaster's Avatar
Posting Deity
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gloucester
Posts: 35,069
Reviews: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
People can leave their home as and when they want to. The snake can't.
some people are aggrophobic, so are 'some' snakes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ethics bladeblaster Snakes 116 14-10-2009 08:07 AM
Ethics in Breeding animal addict Other Pets and Exotics 52 28-08-2009 05:33 PM
Draft Code of Ethics - Consultation arkreptiles Hobby Issues & Information 48 08-04-2008 09:23 AM
Ethics, trade and conservation smileybones Other Pets and Exotics 3 16-01-2007 12:49 PM
Ethics code of my French Forum-please support it,we need it! thorrshamri General Herp Chat 7 17-07-2006 10:59 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Đ 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)