Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Tactfully tell him?

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Other (please post!)

Votes: 2 8.0%

What would you do??

930 views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  BoaQueen 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have always wanted a BCC. So when I heard that the islands rep shop had some for sale, I was pretty shocked. I knew that it would cost loads, because snakes over here are few and far between and therefore very dear (For example a normal 09 corn snake would be about £90, a common boa would be £150).

So anyway I popped in at the weekend for a nosy and asked the owner of the shop. I asked him if he had any boas left. He said he had one left but lots of people were after it, and he even wanted to keep it himself. I asked him 'Do you know if its BCC or BCI?' and he replied 'in English????'

So anyway he said it was definitely BCC without a doubt. Thats what the paperwork says. He said if we hung around a bit we could see it. So we waited for ages while he sold someone a kingsnake (which incidentally, he sexed by lifting up his tail and looking underneath... can you do this??)

So anyway the snake.... it was most definitely BCI. No doubt about it. It was identical to my commons I have at home.... only not as nice :) You couldn't even slightly mistake it for a BCC. I am not an expert but I know a common boa when I see one!!

So I kept my mouth shut..... but do you think I should tell him?
We are in the shop twice a week, and I am worried for him more than anything. I don't want to come across as a know it all but apart from not wanting him to look stupid, I don't think it's fair for someone to pay that price for a common.

He is prob gonna keep at me to buy it now as well!!!!

So people.... what would you do???

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldnt worry about it unless he asks you to buy it. I dont think theres anything wrong with saying to him that in your opinion it is not a bcc and this is why. He can choose to do as he pleases then. You dont want to fall out with a shop you use regularly.

#5 ·
So anyway I popped in
miss polly had a dolly and her head popped off:gasp:

and he replied 'in English????'
nothing wrong with english, you filthy biker :whip:

we hung
bet that hurt your neck

around a bit we could see it. So we waited for ages while he sold someone a kingsnake (which incidentally, he sexed by lifting up his tail and looking underneath... can you do this??)
might have seen his knackers hanging out

So I kept my mouth shut..... but do you think I should tell him?
We are in the shop twice a week
get a life....go ferret catching

He is prob gonna keep at me to buy it now as well!!!!
tell him you used to be called kevin...he wont pester you anymore
personally he claims to have paper work...ok might be false but hes a bussiness and wants to sell it for as much as he can...whil;e you havent been fooled by it ,someone else will be reguardless of if he knows the truth or not.

#6 ·
personally! i'd point and laugh and say you've been conned!:lol2:

nahh in all truth be truthful and tell him that its not a BCC and that his paper work might be false:2thumb:

#7 ·
he prob wouldnt listen anyway hun, 1 of my local rep shops has a BCI in and there trying to sell it for 120£ and trying to say its over a year old, well av tried telling them that it aint a year old its a 09, its smaller than my 09 and my 09 is small lol
you might as well talk to a wall with some

#10 ·
are you 100% sure its a bci!
why are you sure its a bci?
can you get a pic
let people see it
dont forget some people call ALL boas redtails!!!!

ian

#11 ·
100% sure!
I wish i could have taken a pic to show you!!
my BCI has more red on its tail than this one. This one had no red whatsoever! If I said redtail to the owner that would just confuse him further.

He has no clue, but I don't think thats his fault. He rang his partner to check the paperwork to see what age it was. It had no year and no locality (that was my excuse not to be interested - I said I only wanted a suri) but it defo stated boa constrictor constrictor.

So I think he's been conned :gasp:

#14 ·
all of them if you don't want them :lol2:
I have just bought 3 new boas so gonna have to wait a few months for any new additions!!

Anyway its your fault I want a BCC in the first place!! SO for that I think you should give me one for free!! :mf_dribble:

#18 ·
#24 ·
As far as I know the Isle of Man is a crown dependency but not part of the UK nor EU (Same as the Channel Isles) This means that he will have export permits from the UK, which is what he's referring to.

Unfortunately, if those permits really do say Boa constrictor constrictor on them, there's no point in you "telling" him anything. He isn't going to listen when he's got paperwork that says otherwise and all you'll achieve is a damaged relationship with the guy. Best avoided I reckon.

How much is he asking for it out of interest?

#25 ·
Yep the paperwork he was referring to was the CITES permits (you have to have one from the UK, and one into the Isle of Man). We have had to do it for every snake we have!

I don't know how much he was asking the general public... he was doing us a 'good deal' as we have been customers since he was a little fish shop in his garage! So he said at least £200 for 'her'.

But despite us being very good customers, he isn't always good to us!!!
(Hence why nearly all my snakes have been bought from a little star I found on this forum :notworthy:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.