Reptile Forums banner

snakes,visitors and the law

931 views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  vicjim 
#1 ·
if you have visitors and your dog bite them you can be prosecuted,but what about snakes? my little boy has a really irritating mate,,right little so and so,,,whenever he comes in the house hes straight up to the viv glass whining in his squeaky voice ,i wanna see the snakes,,now im putting snakes upstairs in spare room i cant watch them while hes here,they have all got viv locks but i wouldnt put it past him to dismantle the vents. short of banning him from the house (i wish) where do keepers stand in the eyes of the law if one of my babies bit him? if he would be in the wrong,has anyone got a big burm,conda or whatever they would like to show him?:whistling2:

#10 ·
do you have a spare viv+lock you could lock the little blighter in when hes round? i would imagine something like this would be down to the fault of the child, asuming hes old enough to know what "dont fiddle with my vivs" means, the snake being under lock and key, if he somehow got into it and got a bite for his troubles, then hell mend him!

#11 ·
hes 6 and a horrible child,you can tell him no til you are blue in the face and the minute you turn your back hes up to no good,no good talking to his parents either because of where the sun shines,,,,think ill just have to limit his visits or hope he can listen for once

#13 ·
> if you put up warning signs on the vivs saying warning do not touch then
> you should be safe. could you lock the room that they're in too?

There is a school of thought along the lines that if you know there is a danger and all you do is put up a notice "keep out" or "do not touch" you will be liable not only for the accident, but also for negligence. You didn't do anything to safeguard someone who cannot read. (may be a myth though)

Beware of the dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Putting a lock on the viv door, silicon sealing in the vents and putting up a sign "anyone who doesn't want to die a horrible death should keep away from this viv" should do the trick, but I'm not a lawyer.

#16 ·
If hes on his own (not with his parents) and he did get bitten; as soon as he went home he'd tell his parents, and then the whole country would be aware of your man eating snakes. Tell the little **** to stay away from them. Tell your child(ren) in no uncertain terms their friend are to have no contact with the snakes unless it is supervised by you or another suitable adult

#17 ·
Well that's the dangerous dogs act, so in theory someone could attempt to extrapolate this law to prosecute in the same way regarding an injury from a snake.

However as Azazel would say if she'd seen this topic, it would have to go to a test case first, as far as I know this has never happened yet so.

I say just lock the vivs and flatly refuse to ever allow this boy access to your pets :)

#18 ·
Response to spawn of Satan

All you can do is take reasonable precautions, ie signs, locks ,and verbally inform the little monster's/child's parents of your concerns (in front of a witness).If no negligence on your part is shown all should be fine.

If not then there is always "habeas corpus" lol.:devil:

1.1.0 Bearded dragons.
2.0.0 whites tree frogs.
0.0.1 dasypeltis medici. (red phase)
0.0.2 achatina fulica.
0.0.1 pseudocreobotra ocellata.

#21 ·
I have public liability as i some times take my pets to my kids schools for show and tell and i'm a bit of a worrier with things like this :blush: anyway im covered in my home for them too, as long as i have signs displayed stating that 'all animals may bite'. Any kids that come to mine all want to go into rep room and have a nosey, so i just say 'read the signs, they might bite you' and that apparently covers me from any bodily harm from any of my animals. If i don't want them going in i usually tell them that they haven't been fed and are very moody :whistling2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.