Reptile Forums banner

Inclusion body disease.

703 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Rum_Kitty 
#1 ·
Does anyone know about this condition? Had my baby royal Hades treated at the vet for a suspected RI, and I found him dead in his tank yesterday. His symptoms were the following:

Suspected RI
Mucousy mouth
Finding it difficult to right himself when any of his coils were upside down
Extreme difficulty in shedding, despite me increasing the humidity...he couldn't get the bottom third of his shed off at all, it was sitting loose on his body and I had to bathe him and take it off myself
Barely moving
Stargazing

I am gutted with the loss of my young snake, he was my first python and I absolutely adored him. He was "popping" with his mouth open and I took him to the vet at first sign of symptoms of an RI. Could an RI have killed him so fast? I don't want a post mortem done on his body, I know it is the only way to know for sure but I feel too upset to have it done. Perhaps I will regret knowing for sure in time but I know I don't want it done. From the symptoms above does this sound like IBD? Is IBD always passed on through mites? Because I could see no sign of them.

just want to know if I should contact the breeder regarding this or whether I should leave it as I don't want a post mortem done on him.

Also, I have heard that colubrids can "carry" this disease but "may" not always show signs and symptoms. Does this mean they can become ill through this illness, or possibly that my corn is carrying it and passed it to the royal?

RIP Hades. :cry:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.