lucky reptile pocket snake hook (extendable) any good? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 14-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Super Regular
Default lucky reptile pocket snake hook (extendable) any good?

Im going to purchase a snake hook incase I need to use it on my feisty baby boa, have seen this one:

Rainforest Reptile Supplies -Live Food, Dry Food, Frozen Food, Lighting, Heating, Vivariums, Equipment, and More

anyone have it and know if its any good? If not any other recommendations, the pocket one looks as if its of good quality, not sure of the measurements though, says 18-70cm then in the description 18-50cm, not sure if 50cm is a safe enough distance for avoiding a pissed off snake?

the price seems good on the pocket one, the longer ones seem pretty expensive for what they are really. not sure if the pocket one would be robust enough for when the snake gets older either.

decisions decisions..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Premier Member

It will probably come in handy when your boa is youn but as the snake gets older it will probably be to heavy for the hook, but it might still come in handy if you ever need to pin the boa down as an adult although there are tools especialy for this. You can also buy long paint rollers to use as snake hooks and they are half the price.
Old 14-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Premier Member

their very very weak but spot on for baby snakes and the like

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
I cant be bothered with people like that anymore....i just burry them in the garden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chondro13 View Post
their very very weak but spot on for baby snakes and the like
was hoping it wouldnt be as I liked the look of it, thought it was too good to be true with the cheap price tag though.

I take it I would be better off with something like this then?

Rainforest Reptile Supplies -Live Food, Dry Food, Frozen Food, Lighting, Heating, Vivariums, Equipment, and More

anywhere I can get a good quality one cheaper?
Old 14-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Premier Citizen

Think of a retractable car ariel with a hook on the end. When fully extended it won't be able to bear a lot of weight without bending. Waste of money in my opinion, you need something much more robust.
Old 14-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Premier Member

picked up a couple of these from houten. Fantastic for snakes who just need a little touch with a hook, and great for small/hatchling tree snakes. But as hooks go, pretty crap lol. If you want a snake hook to acutally use as a full blown hook, dont bother.

PM's are now turned off!

If you wish to contact Pi Reptiles please email [email protected] or visit www.pireptiles.co.uk
Old 14-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned
Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
picked up a couple of these from houten. Fantastic for snakes who just need a little touch with a hook, and great for small/hatchling tree snakes. But as hooks go, pretty crap lol. If you want a snake hook to acutally use as a full blown hook, dont bother.
completely agree,,,,they were ace for my baby scrubs and ATB, even for the mangroves...but i used one of them on my vipers when i couldnt find my other hook and my fat viper broke it in half
Old 14-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Super Regular

so basically theyre only good for baby/small snakes and not strong enough to support bigger/heavier snakes, oh well..

how about the one at serpentsupplies for a fiver?

Snake Hook

like to hear from people that have actually got/used whatever Im buying, saves me buying tat and wasting money.

other than that one, can anyone recommend me a particular brand or link me to the one they have if its any good?

I know a hook is basically a hook but I want to make sure my hook is a good one
Old 14-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Forum Citizen

i niked one of them from my old work so they arent bad for free but can bend and break quit easily, its fine for me corn and a baby boa tho

1 royal pythons
4 boa c constrictor
1 burmese python
Old 14-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Super Regular

thanks for your input mate.

looks like the 'pocket hook' is out then.

what about the one in the link? anyone got one? they look ok, not sure about the quality of the handle though?

went to the disabled shop today and had a look at their litter pickers, read a post by someone saying their good for feeding, thought they might make good 'hooks' as well, Im not convinced though as the shape isnt ideal, think it would be hard to get it under the snakes belly.

anyway, anyone own or used that particular hook or can anyone recommend me another?