Reptile Forums banner

I have caught the snake bug - help!!

1K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  HABU 
#1 ·
Right, today I caught the snake bug from another RFUK member (she knows who she is!!)...kind of convinced my OH to let me have one so now its all about choosing the right one...

A corn or royal python? either way id like a hatchling...which one would be a good starter snake?

All opinions reallly appreciated :no1:

#2 ·
If you have the bug.. you will end up with both! There is no stopping it :)

Personally I prefer corns but they are both great starter snakes.

I prefer corns because they're colourful, very active, easy to keep, easy to breed... so many morphs, good genetics..

Royals have many of the same qualities but except the morphs are not really at obtainable prices yet... and they can be picky feeders but if you get them from a good breeder, or from someone who has got them feeding well, shouldn't be a problem.

#7 ·
Right, today I caught the snake bug from another RFUK member (she knows who she is!!)...kind of convinced my OH to let me have one so now its all about choosing the right one...

A corn or royal python? either way id like a hatchling...which one would be a good starter snake?

All opinions reallly appreciated :no1:
IMO you have got away lightly
The worst form of the snake bug is the addiction to Carpet pythons, this starts as a snake bug and before you know it your house is full of various carpets and there morphs:lol2:

If you have patience and are not easily stressed a Royal is good starter snake, its reported that they have feeding issues and can be finicky I have had 12 todate and had no issues with any of them some say I am lucky. The only times mine refused to eat was during the breeding season and some when blue in a shed cycle. Just read as much as you can on Royals there is loads on the net about them just be sure its from a good source and you wont go far wrong.

#13 ·
get a corn, you can buy one from the corrupt pet shop on saturday if you are still coming down

#27 ·
a king gets to the same size as a corn, but are a little chunkier, they also have an active feeding respose so tongs are a good idea, as is keeping hands out of the way :lol: but they have the exact same care as a corn snake :D and in my opinion are much nicer :D

#28 ·
Aw get a cute little Corn :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.