Reptile Forums banner

Girthy snakes

4K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  LeeH 
#1 ·
Hi,

im being naughty n finkin of getting another snake however i want a snake i can really feel instead of like a corn something with a bit of girth on it.

Ive been thinking about a common boa however mum n dad arent happy with the length and the possible danger of a snake that big.

What sort of snake could you suggest than has some girth to it but is no more than 5-6ft. I was thinking dwarve boas? im really not sure

Also are blood python really agressive?

cheers guys,

JBJ

#3 ·
bloods are very girthy
thier reputation is for being aggresive, so i've heard, but i'm sure like most other things they can become "tame" with handling
How about a Royal, they're quite fat in relation to their length.

#4 · (Edited)
I think your royal will probably have quite an impressive girth when it reaches its full adult size. My mates adults are chunky with a capital C!

I'm guessing they are probably between 4 and 5 inches in diameter at their widest point.

#10 ·
get a male boa constrictor! they will top off at around 6- 7 foot. if thats the snake you like then get it! they're not dangerous in the slightest only to the youngest of children i'd say. mine are both very tame.
you can also control they're growth rate somewhat by limiting the food you give them.

#12 ·
If you get a blood, be prepared for it being about a foot in diameter when its adult so would need an extremely deep viv.

Personally, I don't think you want to go down that route, unless your really do want a monster! There are plenty of girthy snakes around which don't go to that extreme.

I take it you have seen the pic posted a while back on the forum of the massive blood.

#14 ·
I've alos heard that bloods need vivs the legth of their body coz it helps to prevent resp infection if they can stretch out. so you may need a 6 foot viv at least which is big and not everyone has the space for a viv like that.
also, it can be a big shock to get a very aggresive snake when your not used to it. it can be very frightening and alot of people just leave them and don't handle it then and the snake just gets worse. i think you'd be better off getting a snake that has the reputation for good temperament

#16 ·
i dont think ill get a blood now and will it harm the snake at all if i limit its food? also what ages would i need to limit the food on im probally gona get moaned at now it just depends i mean if only the size of the snake will be affected then id be ok with limiting its food...

#18 ·
IMO If it is what you want and you are able to give it a lot of time and space then I would go for it.

Dwarf boas (Hogg Islands) are a much safer bet though as they are handlable, nice girth (not fat but not thing) and don't require a lot of space.

400runner, about what you said with the RI and it being able to stretch out, the main problem with it being unable to stretch out is constipation. I am not saying you are wrong just RI is most commonly assosiated with bad temperatures and humidity.

#19 ·
i think ill get a male common boa ill have to get a relible person to sell to me though as if its a female ill have to sell her which would be a shame and also that would be well cool a snake i can take out in the garden (once its not ankel deep in water) and ill be able to see it through the grass

cheers guys u rule : victory:

also how much would a hatchling,yearling and adult common be (average)? or are there a dwarve boa type cheaper than a hog island boa because iheard there about £180-£220

#27 ·
Well don't underfeed it otherwise it will become skinny and you will notice its' health going bad. Other than that there is no other ill effects but as I said but I am sure you won't as you are wanting a smaller snake but if you powerfeed it (feed it too much) to grow bigger and quicker its lifespan will dramatically decrease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.