Reptile Forums banner

Housing young retics?

1K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Freeman 
#1 ·
hi im wondering what you would size viv/tub u would reccomend for a 3-4' retic? Ive got a 2.5 x 2' x 1.5' tub which im thinking of using atm ? just until its setlled and going into a 4x2x2 is this ok?

#2 ·
id use the tub mate, young retics do very well in tubs, and id wait until its around 6-7 foot before putting it into a 4x2x2.

#5 ·
Bare in mind a retic will be quite nervous in a larger enclosure. I have 4 footers in tanks that are only around 2 x 1 x 8in high. They are slender animals and spend a lot of time curled up so dont require the space as long as plenty of water is about. I wouldnt put a retic smaller than 8 foot or so in a 4 x 2 x 2, the space may cause stress.

#6 ·
a rub or small viv i keep my 4.5/5ft tiger in a 2.5+1.5+1 viv with my 7ft bali in a 3.5+1.5+1.5 viv,my 10ft selayer in a 4+2+2.5 and my 11ft normal in the same as selayer but will be moving him to bigger over xmas as he is now bulking out poss buliding a 5+3+2 for him

#9 ·
Id say a month of hook training should have it sorted anyway. If it is a biter then youre stuck with a few holes in you but to be honest it will calm down but seem nervous for a few weeks without biting, then you may have something like a tame snake in the making.

#13 ·
You'll be ok, i'm also getting my first Retic soon. When i've been bitten by snakes in the past it's the shock that get's you, not the pain.

I red a care sheet saying keep a spray bottle of vinegar or whiskey near by incase it grabs you and won't let go.

#15 ·
Thats the only problem with them, the speed. The biggest problem with it is that they move like garter snakes even at 18foot.

#17 ·
100% agree. my snappiest mental one took to hook training in weeks, hasnt struck or even hissed since, super smart! and my male kalatoa comes straight out of his rub onto your hands, almost seems affectionate sometimes!

#20 ·
my 4' tiger is in a 50ltr tub and doing great il prob keep him there til 5/6 then goes in his viv

when handling this things with snake hooks they do tend to go straight up the hook to your hands, i tend to get mine used to being got out with hands and hooks then when bigger can do either :)

#21 ·
when handling any of mine i just touch them on top of their head with a hook and them pick them up with my hands ,touching with hook first when you are going to interract with them rather than feed they soon learn that a touch on head means no food and are going to be handled

#22 ·
This is what i meant by using a hook. You dont need to hook them as such but prove that they are safe or that you arent food. Thats all they seem to need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.