Male snakes not feeding during breeding season - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 21-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Premier Member
Default Male snakes not feeding during breeding season

I have decided to post this thred in response to the ever growing 'my male snake has gone off food and i'm worried' threads in order to help people know when not feeding is something to worry about and when it is part of their natural habbits in the wild.

Snakes in the wild and in captivity have a breeding season once a year that can vary depending on the species and some may also breed any time of year or more than once so individual species research will be needed. During this time your normal feeding regiem for the rest of the year will be likely to 'go out of the window', males may not want much food or may refuse altogether untill breeding season/cooling period is over males generaly start this behaviour at about 2 years of age but again this can vary with the spacies and can even start a bit earlier. Female snakes will often want much more food at this time of year but unless they are going to be breeding they should not be allowed to have it their own way as all of the excess fat will be stored and not used up during pregnancy/being gravid and can fast become obese.

Even out of breeding season some snakes may refuse a feed for various reasons so I will link this very good sticky for reference and to help others. A couple of weeks or two months is never anything to worry about as they go far longer in the wild without food wuithout even having the choice there due to lack of prey, luckily we have pet shops and freezers so there is never a shortage of supply for them.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake...ding-tips.html

Please feel free to add to this thread from your own experiences.

Last edited by Jczreptiles; 21-12-2009 at 09:58 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Postaholic Member

Good post mate, theres been loads of people say snakes have gone off food recently. It may also highlight that lots of snakes maybe going off food that are thought to be female. I would get these checked out now as if you put 2 males together for breeding by accident you wont like what happens usually.

I heard a story from a local guy near here who put 2 male retics together and one needed totally stitching back together.
Old 21-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Good post mate, theres been loads of people say snakes have gone off food recently. It may also highlight that lots of snakes maybe going off food that are thought to be female. I would get these checked out now as if you put 2 males together for breeding by accident you wont like what happens usually.

I heard a story from a local guy near here who put 2 male retics together and one needed totally stitching back together.
Thanks mate, just basic things like this are not generaly covered in many books which is a shame really as it would put a lot of minds at rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Premier Citizen

good post mate could help alot of ppl
Old 21-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jczreptiles View Post
Thanks mate, just basic things like this are not generaly covered in many books which is a shame really as it would put a lot of minds at rest.
I think things get mentioned in books but when you hear horror stories of retic fights no amount of words in a book hit the spot like that.
Old 21-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I think things get mentioned in books but when you hear horror stories of retic fights no amount of words in a book hit the spot like that.
I would not like to be the one to have to seperate them.
Old 21-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jczreptiles View Post
I would not like to be the one to have to seperate them.
Nah me neither, probably better for everyone if 3 people probe or sex each snake. Any discrepencies dont even bother putting them together.
Old 21-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Premier Member

When I probe I tend to do a best of 3 on each side if it probes female if that makes sense but I do it over a course of 2 weeks or so and use the average as the result.
Old 21-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Super Citizen

Good thread, maybe this could be a sticky since there's been a countless amount of people asking in the last few days..
Old 22-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Gold Star Member

my oldest male corn usually stops feeding towards the back end of November, well into March but this year he's still eating like a pig!