Cutting open eggs - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 19-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Premier Member

if egg cutting is impatience then what is breeding a female at the soonest possible opportunity if not impatience.

which is safer the impatient cutter or the impatience to get those eggs to cut or not.

rgds and i hope u have a good season greg, i really like some of those crazy orange amel hogs u have, like lava with a snout n' eyes :o)
ed

The real reason why anyone would cut eggs is impatience. There is no other need for it. Like I said, for 2 eggs that might not be able to hatch on their own, it is not worth cutting open a hundred, "just incase".[/QUOTE]
AilsaM likes this.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to Crownan

Well holy crap, this may be the first time I have agreed with something Gregg M says!

Cutting eggs is unnecessary and promotes weakness in the hobby.

What happens when someone less experienced buys a weak animal that then produces further weak animals that cannot hatch on their own but the new owner can't help them? Tons of drowned snakes, that's what.
heather08, Paul F, AilsaM and 1 others like this.

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boas, 1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa, 1.0 Rosy Boa, 2.2 Royal Python, 0.1 Borneo Blood Python, 0.0.2 Rough Greens, 1.0 Western Hognoses, 0.1 Tai Beauty, 1.0 Sinaloan Milk, 0.1 Chilean Rose, 0.1 Honduran Curly Hair, 0.1 Green Iguana, 1.0 Lineolated Parakeet, 0.1 Fraggle

Member #2726
RBUK #2 - 2007 Aprilia RSV1000R
Old 19-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Ultra Citizen

i really disagree with this video, its not necessary and more to the point, theyre not even hatched yet and is being far too heavy handed with him, but hey thats prehistoric pets for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Ultra Citizen

I cut my eggs, nature is pretty good at what it dose.
Old 19-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Posting Deity

I don't agree with cutting eggs at all & I know when I have eggs incubating I certainly wont be cutting any, nature should be the judge and I'd much prefer the fittest and strongest out of the eggs to those who can't hatch on their own, after all wild snake eggs aren't provided with luxuries, if they can't hatch they die, which will be my thinking when the time comes, mother nature is cruel as well as kind.
skirsty likes this.
Old 19-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Premier Member

mother nature will have had nothing to do with u getting eggs which is why she should have no say whether the babies drown or not.

a broken or missing eggtooth is not a weakness, its badluck, the hatchling that breaks thru is not stronger, its merely luckier.

if u wish to leave ur hatchlings fate to luck that's ur call, but mother nature will not be in the room on that day.

rgds
ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AilsaM View Post
I don't agree with cutting eggs at all & I know when I have eggs incubating I certainly wont be cutting any, nature should be the judge and I'd much prefer the fittest and strongest out of the eggs to those who can't hatch on their own, after all wild snake eggs aren't provided with luxuries, if they can't hatch they die, which will be my thinking when the time comes, mother nature is cruel as well as kind.
pants125, Uromastyxman and Korrina like this.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.
Old 19-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxocemus View Post
mother nature will have had nothing to do with u getting eggs which is why she should have no say whether the babies drown or not.

a broken or missing eggtooth is not a weakness, its badluck, the hatchling that breaks thru is not stronger, its merely luckier.

if u wish to leave ur hatchlings fate to luck that's ur call, but mother nature will not be in the room on that day.

rgds
ed
I agree Ed, all the stuff so many keepers impose on snakes, keeping them in relatively small boxes, often with no light cycle let alone UV. Starving them of exercise and adequate opportunity to thermoregulate. Taking away the ability to hunt down and tackle their own food by feeding them safe defrosts on tongs. Does feeding them dead specially bred rodents risk turning captive bred snakes into inactive tubes that lay there waiting to suck up a meal offered to them on a stick by their keeper, robbing them of their natural instinctive abilities over time? Turning them into poor captive substandard versions of their wild counterparts? I find it odd that keepers have bred so many generations of captive snakes, changing their colours, removing pigment, scales etc etc and then they get righteous about cutting open eggs because they see it as some kind of test for vitality. What a load of pseudo scientific bollocks! It could be that a contributing factor to the inability of some snakes to hatch from the eggs is something that could be attributed to humans conditioning them to captivity. I think the least we could do is help them out of their eggs. Or should vets and midwives not be assisting with any complication at birth either because it doesn't promote natural selection. People do come up with some bizarre shite.
WoogieWoogford likes this.
Keeping reptiles for a long time does not mean you know everything. It does not mean you cannot learn more to improve your knowledge, and you can learn from anyone, including relative newcomers. Knowing a lot about reptiles does not give you the right to be arrogant, it simply makes you look arrogant, however, anyone should be prepared for a blunt response if you start spouting rubbish.
Old 20-05-2015, 12:55 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
if egg cutting is impatience then what is breeding a female at the soonest possible opportunity if not impatience.

which is safer the impatient cutter or the impatience to get those eggs to cut or not
You bring up a good point Ed. My answer to that is both can be unsafe if done by inexperienced keepers. Lets face it, most here are inexperienced.

Quote:
rgds and i hope u have a good season greg, i really like some of those crazy orange amel hogs u have, like lava with a snout n' eyes :o)
ed
Thank you my friend. I have 4 clutches incubating right now that I am super excited about. 3 of them are lava clutches. Females will be double clutching soon and I have roughly 6 gravid females ready to drop their first clutches. Honestly if I get nothing other than the 4 clutches I have incubating now, I will be fine with that. LOL. There will be plenty of snouted, eye balled lava erupting from eggs for me. Swear, I am not cutting them though. LOL

Suspension Incubation containers www.squamataconcepts.com

Last edited by Gregg M; 20-05-2015 at 12:59 AM..
Old 20-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M View Post
You bring up a good point Ed. My answer to that is both can be unsafe if done by inexperienced keepers. Lets face it, most here are inexperienced.

Thank you my friend. I have 4 clutches incubating right now that I am super excited about. 3 of them are lava clutches. Females will be double clutching soon and I have roughly 6 gravid females ready to drop their first clutches. Honestly if I get nothing other than the 4 clutches I have incubating now, I will be fine with that. LOL. There will be plenty of snouted, eye balled lava erupting from eggs for me. Swear, I am not cutting them though. LOL
id leave all the hogs in the eggs if it was me
Old 21-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Premier Member

i don't think it's been mentioned yet but there's a huge difference between cutting a little slit or small window to allow for a safe exit and some of the hack jobs were all familiar with on the tube'. god knows what the neonates think is going on in those, their basically being forced to hatch as little often remains of the shell other than a little bowl of fluid their sitting in.

the excuse of prevention of drowning in those hack jobs is obvious bs, and is as gregg has said nothing but extreme impatience, and a desire for instant gratification and the feelings of the neonate be damned.

have u noticed with morfs its now now i want it now, asap!, whereas with normals of other species its "u take ur time little buddy"

rgds
ed
Korrina likes this.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.