Cutting open eggs - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #31 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Egg
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzyasb View Post
I was getting quite annoyed by this comment

well i personally think cutting eggs open is wrong because in the wild if they are not suppose to make it they wont hatch, but then again i have cut some leopard gecko eggs open because they was 4 weeks overdue and they smelt bad and were brown but the little one was alive but sadly died.

you should never cut open or help a hatchling hatch because its just going to deteriate later on in life.


Erm maybe if you had cut them before hand the one that was alive might have made it.
Just to add then, so your saying any animal that is not strong enough to survive hatching on their own shouldn't have human intervention to save them? With that in mind would you walk into a maternity unit and say that premature babies should not be helped or that actually we shouldn't have hospitals at all, maybe vets and hospitals are just a waste of time...well according to what you're saying...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2015, 05:45 PM
loxocemus's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 8,116
Default

i think he/she meant the exact opposite, and was merely responding to the quoted txt.

in which case u picked on quote/replied the wrong person.

ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibro7 View Post
Just to add then, so your saying any animal that is not strong enough to survive hatching on their own shouldn't have human intervention to save them? With that in mind would you walk into a maternity unit and say that premature babies should not be helped or that actually we shouldn't have hospitals at all, maybe vets and hospitals are just a waste of time...well according to what you're saying...
__________________
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Egg
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxocemus View Post
i think he/she meant the exact opposite, and was merely responding to the quoted txt.

in which case u picked on quote/replied the wrong person.

ed
My bad
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2015, 07:50 PM
al stotton's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,566
Default

I noted the date on the first post and the video link, sadly its gotten FAR worse since then...........They do not even wait until some of the eggs have pipped naturally now!!

This of course exposes the 'excuse' in that original video of 'they've gone some time now and not pipped like the others' as total BS.
Think I'm wrong then just check those guys latest video posted a few hours ago.

For me personally this has to be one of the most disturbing aspects of snake breeding and I Hate It!

Just to add my own 2 pennies worth......check this pic from a few days ago, those two mouldy rotten looking eggs would have been tossed in the bin if you believed the hype.

They in fact both pipped all by them selves, zero human assistance and the hatchling snakes are fine.....Odd one that
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 PM
al stotton's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,566
Default

Talk About Next Level stupid,,,, Here's a perfect example....

Pause the video at 42-3 seconds! you will not believe your eyes!!
This guy is actually blade in hand cutting an egg whilst clearly looking in the opposite direction Mind boggling Stoopid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjSsQr70u1A

This mentality seems to be quite the norm for some, check the first comment...quote ...
Answering a few questions in advance: Are the snakes dead? -No. Why do they cut the eggs? -To make sure the snakes do not drown in their eggs, making sure the batch survives DOH
herper147 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al stotton View Post
Talk About Next Level stupid,,,, Here's a perfect example....

Pause the video at 42-3 seconds! you will not believe your eyes!!
This guy is actually blade in hand cutting an egg whilst clearly looking in the opposite direction Mind boggling Stoopid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjSsQr70u1A

This mentality seems to be quite the norm for some, check the first comment...quote ...
Answering a few questions in advance: Are the snakes dead? -No. Why do they cut the eggs? -To make sure the snakes do not drown in their eggs, making sure the batch survives DOH
To be fair, Jay has been doing this for decades, and it's pretty fair to assume he knows what he is doing. Not to mention that after you have done something (like cutting an egg open) several thousand times, the muscle memory would allow you to do it without looking.

He has stated his process a couple of times, and always uses his finger as a stop-guard between the blade and the snake, and in all of those videos I have never once seen him cut a snake, and the number of times he has cut himself (on camera) can be counted on one hand.
__________________
Lover of boas, attempting to breed this season if all is well.

Warming up to hots as the years go by (if you'll pardon the pun), but a long way off owning any
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2015, 11:12 PM
al stotton's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
To be fair, Jay has been doing this for decades, and it's pretty fair to assume he knows what he is doing. Not to mention that after you have done something (like cutting an egg open) several thousand times, the muscle memory would allow you to do it without looking.

He has stated his process a couple of times, and always uses his finger as a stop-guard between the blade and the snake, and in all of those videos I have never once seen him cut a snake, and the number of times he has cut himself (on camera) can be counted on one hand.
With respect its your choice to defend his actions, I for one will never be convinced by your argument.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree here Stiffy.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al stotton View Post
With respect its your choice to defend his actions, I for one will never be convinced by your argument.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree here Stiffy.
Fair enough, I won't pretend that everything Jay does is perfect, nor should he be the book by which we base our standards. I for one think he has overproduced retics by such a huge margin, that he could single-handedly collapse an ecosystem if he wanted to. However, in that process, he has produced some of the most beautiful snakes I have ever seen, and his success is impossible to deny.
__________________
Lover of boas, attempting to breed this season if all is well.

Warming up to hots as the years go by (if you'll pardon the pun), but a long way off owning any
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2015, 11:41 PM
al stotton's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
Fair enough, I won't pretend that everything Jay does is perfect, nor should he be the book by which we base our standards. I for one think he has overproduced retics by such a huge margin, that he could single-handedly collapse an ecosystem if he wanted to. However, in that process, he has produced some of the most beautiful snakes I have ever seen, and his success is impossible to deny.
I respect your opinion just like everyone's and I take on-board your point about overproduction as it something I personally endeavour to avoid.

I think one glaring difference here is business factors ($$) seem to have long overridden things with these 'big name' U,S breeders and therefore the need for 'fame' via youtube etc, is rampant.

I also think if they were not making those videos of clutches being cut and ripped from the egg no one would have less respect for all the new morphs created.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Regular
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 106
Default

So it's July the 2nd and at least the topic has come up at the start of the month which leaves us to enjoy "vivs or racks", "royal breeding" and the "great british live feeding" debate for the rest of the month.

All I'd like to say is nature is a cruel bitch which is survival of the fittest at all times. Cut/don't cut it's your choice but some animals are never meant to hatch or be born and that includes us.

All this human intervention and compassion is down to us being the most intelligent animals on earth and feel the need to help the weak, dying or dead. We all watch Animal Planet, Discovery etc and see lion prides kill each other young and old, crocodiles eat young rhinos and endangered turtles getting gobbled up by birds and other predators. What do the scientists and naturalists do that watch and film this ....nothing, it's the animal kingdom.

Ethics, morals, greed, curiosity. Pick your reason to do it or not and change the subject.

And no I've never cut and lost a few in a clutch which were fertile and looked in the eggs after to find tiny under-developed animals inside. I'm not saying don't be upset etc but it's not always meant to be even with all the will in the world and tons of modern technology to aid us.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cutting eggs open... Rum_Kitty Breeding 20 09-01-2010 06:10 AM
cutting eggs? Declan123 Snakes 22 29-07-2009 01:21 PM
Cutting the eggs? James Snakes 38 31-03-2009 09:13 PM
do i open these beardie eggs? please help buddy Breeding 4 27-05-2008 09:47 PM
do i open these beardie Eggs ? please help buddy Lizards 4 27-05-2008 09:46 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:53 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)