Reptile Forums banner

afrocks

2K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  chewy fyu 
#1 ·
gonna order a pair this week i no not to get a wc as there will never tame but what about cf

#43 ·
any tips i no they are nervous and may bite can cope with that no how big they get ect just wanted to know some tips what works well for yous to calm down afrocks and tips on care what works better for yous read tons of caresheets etc

#44 ·
i find that just leaving them alone works well, if you can get to a stage where u can open the viv and change water without them charging at u or threatening u (ignoring hiss's) then thats good, there not a snake to have out like a burm, they do very quickly get fed up with being out!! dont jump, or be nervous around them, they'll play on it, they'll watch u all the time, just be calm around them and dont mess about when getting them out and you'll be fine.

#46 · (Edited)
its a shame it needed ordering in, if you were able to go somewhere and check some hatchling sized ones you could select one with the better temperament. but you do pose a risk of receiving one like the other person stated a bit defensive. like a blind date.

you ned to offer it exactly what it needs husbandry and hygeine wise. theyre the majors of a snake feeling relaxed.
since you havent owned one before your unlikely to know what your doing behavour wise. just get to know the animal. alter your handling methods, alter where the enclosures positioning, altor what items you have in the enclosure (some state having an enclosure raised by something and leaving most the underneath of the enclosure hollow prevents vibrations of like footsteps etc and keeps the snake less alert). its method testing mostly.

making the animal feel intimidated is the worse thing to do, never do that. fast movements from flinching, (looking like a predator or a threat) etc, just keep it cool etc.

you dont learn to trust a snake. snakes learn to trust you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.