Some help with a rescue Boa please.... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 28-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Premier Member
Default Some help with a rescue Boa please....

OK,we took in a 5ft male BCI on wednesday night that was apparently too aggressive to deal with! Well he is a little aggro,but who can blame him?He has 7 burns,all untreated but after he burnt himself on the naked bulb the owner decided to turn it off therefore keeping him at room temps for the last 4 months,he is painfully thin and apparently hadn't fed in 6 months.
Well we have treated the burns,set him up in proper safe enviroment and he took 2 small weaners(baby steps).
My problem,or rather question,is that I have now been told they did apply an iodine solution to his burns when they happened(how admirable) however,for some reason they decided to add iodine to his water(would you beleive!?) to "..help him heal...."
I have never heard of this and frankly think it can't be good to ingest Iodine.Now,I am more likely to believe he hasn't drank from this as a)he was seriously dehydrated when he arrived and b)well,what animal would drink Iodine? lol
However if he HAS done so,anyone know what effect it is likely to have?
Here he is,such a shame,he is a lovely looking chap....
Advertisement

Old 28-07-2007, 08:57 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

I am no vet but i guess it would depend on the concentration. I know the army used to put iodine in drinking water in the 50's to try and reduce the labido of the recruits. I dont know if it is safe for snakes though.
Old 28-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Posting Deity

Well done for rescuing him.

As for the iodine - I used Betadine (iodine) on my rat snake a while back and I know she bathed in her water bowl afterwards so she must have drunk some and she hasn't suffered at all. I would think it depends on how much they put in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Premier Member

well the water bowl had dried out when I got there but was crystalised with bright yellow crud,obviously from the iodine.Getting any info out the previous keeper is hard as they dont seem to want to open up about it all.I wonder why......?
Old 28-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned
Send a message via Skype™ to Fixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj5447 View Post
I am no vet but i guess it would depend on the concentration. I know the army used to put iodine in drinking water in the 50's to try and reduce the labido of the recruits. I dont know if it is safe for snakes though.
Sure that wasn't bromide they put in the water?
And yes it depends on the concentration they used. We've used povidone iodine to help treat mouth rot before on some snakes and not had any issues.
Old 28-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Premier Member

I have used Iodine myself to treat mouth rot,but from the look of the water bowl I wouldn't be surprised to find this was a 50/50 solution!LOL!
However I have just spoken to my vet and he says that any ill effect would be fairly apparent,and it's unlikely to cause any real problems.PHEW!
Thanks anyway guys!!
Old 28-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned
Send a message via Skype™ to Fixx

It may be another reason why the snake wasn't eating, if it did drink a strong solution of iodine it may have knocked out most of it's gut flora. May be an idea to give it a couple of pinches of a probiotic (Avipro or Avipro +) on the next feed.
Old 28-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Premier Member

Well,I tubed a gut load of water and re-hydrate solution into him the night he arrived and the difference has been immediately noticeable,and he is now drinking on his own.A lot! lol
I must say the fact he fed almost immediately is encouraging,but I think I will slowly increase the prey size as still unsure how long since he fed before arriving.They say 6 months,but you can feel every rib down him.Sure he will come round though,time is a great healer they say eh?Always surprising just how tough and resilient these guys can be huh!
Old 28-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Premier Citizen

sadly another case of lack of information on the previous owners side,this disgusts and upsets me as i too rescued a female boa from a guy who kept her in extremely bad conditions.good luck and i hope he settles down for you,i`m sure with time and patience and the fact he now knows he`s being cared for properly, he will be just fine.

Old 28-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Premier Member

well,one more Boa can't hurt eh?lol
I'm sure he'll calm down once he is more comfortable,and if not thats hardly the end of the world either.He can't be as evil as my sodding scrubby no matter what he does!