Reptile Forums banner

Anyone breeding Leopards ?

651 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Alex M 
#1 ·
Anyone breeding leopard rat snakes ?

A photo here in case someone has seen them but does not know what they are called ....

Unfortunately I lost my female last year and have two males that are well into breeding size. These are not very common here though and with only captive bred specimens allowed to be in captivity this is unlikely to change any time soon.

A much under-rated species though I think. They are fussy feeders, but I find this is because they absolutely hate being handled. As they only get to three feet in length ( adults eat fuzzy mice ) I put kitchen roll tubes in their tanks then lift that out with the snake in it. They will stay in there for an hour or so then venture out again. If they MUST be picked up, it takes them about 3 days to de-stress and they will eat again.

Consequently, mine have never missed a meal unless shedding !

Beautiful animals and full of character :D

See less See more
#5 ·
Maybe try asking dave at scales and tails. He gets lots of things in some by request and does courriers too. I'm about to buy from him a second time so I'd ask him, my stuff should be with me in 6-8 weeks so if you wanted you could always get your thing sent to mine and collect to save a bit on courrier if that works out at all?

#13 ·
Due to losing the male last year, i will be selling my '07 female striped situla when she comes out of brumation if you're still interested - good opportunity i would say!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.