Reptile Forums banner

Royal Python in Blue, sort of

2K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Saosin 
#1 ·
I noticed my Royal Pythons eyes were clouded over about a week and a half to two weeks ago now..

A week after I noticed it I ran him a bath and let him have a swim around.. I noticed a couple of little bits of what looked like skin floating in the bath when I took him out but no like massive bits..

I took him out of his viv yesterday and noticed his eyes were no longer blue, but his skin is still quite dark..

Could it be that his eyecaps came off in the bath but he's still waiting for a proper shed? .. I've checked all over his viv and there is no shed skin in there at all... little strange :/

Sao

#4 ·
somewhere between 1 and 3 days... he spends a lot of time hiding and I don't like to bug him too much... hopefully he'll shed soon :)

I didn't realise the eyes uncloud before shedding, I thought it was like a layer of skin across the top that would go when they shed..

#3 ·
royal pythons eye caps

yes it could be, there is a way of telling if it's still shedding.
get yout thumb and finger and lick them and rub the bottom of his tail, if he is shedding some of the shedding will come of on to your finger. then just leave him to shed.
some snakes can take a while to shed so don't worry also make sure the whole shedding comes of in one peace because it could have a skin problem if it doesn't.

please try this as it does work. thank yo email me back when you find out please just to know how it's doing.

thanks snakeman1995

:2thumb:

#6 ·
sounds like he hasnt shed yet he should do it within a week though: victory:

#10 ·
just let him get on with it mate: victory:

#13 ·
should be finished in half hour

#17 ·
Ok so it's been a fair bit longer than 30 minutes... there's bits of skin coming off his head and neck and a patch coming off his tail but none of it seems to have come free..

Should I still just leave him to it? or do I need to do something.

Cheers

Sao

#18 ·
Leave him to it he will sort him self out if your worried ever etc give me a bell you have my number dont be afraid to ask even if it sounds daft lol

also ive seen a thread on here about your royal being a possible yellowbelly where as yellowbelliy are co dom it is imposible to get a possible yellowbelly
bu i know the breeder of your snake and it came from a yellowbelly to normal pairing and this was one of the snakes that he could not decide weather it was a yellowbelly or not although it shows some markers he could not be 100% cirtain that is why it was labeled possible the only way to proove it is to put him to a female yellowbelly and see if you get ivorys

cheers
lou

#20 ·
Leave him to it he will sort him self out if your worried ever etc give me a bell you have my number dont be afraid to ask even if it sounds daft lol

also ive seen a thread on here about your royal being a possible yellowbelly where as yellowbelliy are co dom it is imposible to get a possible yellowbelly
bu i know the breeder of your snake and it came from a yellowbelly to normal pairing and this was one of the snakes that he could not decide weather it was a yellowbelly or not although it shows some markers he could not be 100% cirtain that is why it was labeled possible the only way to proove it is to put him to a female yellowbelly and see if you get ivorys

cheers
lou
Thanks Lou... I'll leave him to it.. and thanks for clearing up the thing about yellowbelly.. I guess it's worth getting a female to find out...

I'll get some pics of him when he's freshly shed, might help if he's colors are nice and bright and you can see the pattern well

Mark

#19 ·
I found our adult male Burm takes almost 2 weeks from start to finish with about 3 days of looking cloudy in between so I wouldnt worry this all sounds perfectly normal :D

#22 ·
OK so I checked on him again this morning before work and he's still got bits of skin coming off in different places... I guess it's just going to be a messy shed...

shame, I wanted it all off in one piece so I could measure it :whip:

#28 ·
Yes tht is a bad shed due to low humidity its not a major problem but you will need to make sure the eye caps have come off.

there are various ways to get dry shed off like sokeing or putting them in a pillowcase filled with damp paper etc but dont pull at it as you could pull scales off.

the best thing to do mate is invest in a water spray bottle there only like £1 or somthing and when your snake comes into blue or just before start misting daily or twice daily and you should get a full shed every time

#29 ·
What's recommended then? which method will be best to help my guy out?

I've been spraying him twice a day since he started shedding to get the humidity up, I don't have a moss box but I will be investing in one after this..

If anyone can link me to threads with methods i'd really appreciate it.

#30 ·
I think the best thing now is to give him a warm bath, about 30 degrees temp, plenty of water, let him soak for a good half hour, then let him run through a towel and the skin should come off nice and easy, the longer you leave it the more difficult it will be to help him. You can pull the skin off no problem, you won't pull scales off.

#31 ·
my female royal had this prob, when i got her she had skin on her from the last shed, get a pillow case, damp it with warm water, put snake in case, tie top with shoelace, place on ur heat matt in Viv, leave 4 1 hour. and when u take him out all should b off. as where the case is wet it makes the skin damp and as they move in the case it rubs it all off "inc eye caps" she had her 2nd shed last week and it all came off but there was aliitle on her head still so i did same again and it all come off. gd luck :2thumb:

#33 ·
get us some pics when its all of as just after shed they r looking there best "colour wise" that is : victory:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.