MBK not eating?.. rubbing nose on glass constantly day/night. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Forum Citizen
Default MBK not eating?.. rubbing nose on glass constantly day/night.

hi my mbk recently shedded his skin about 8 days ago was all in one piece apart from the head was ripped off the rest , i left him 2 days as usual and tried to feed him he wasnt bothered even tho i left it in over night , so i took it out and threw it , left it a couple more days and tried again still not bothered so threw that one , just tried him today and he doesnt seem bothered again! he just keeps nosing the glass door all day and night ... he was fine before he went into shed .. never missed a feed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Ultra Citizen

Its mating season......

dont worry most male snakes do this alot (not all) of mine are off there food atm including my MBK
Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsnakes View Post
Its mating season......

dont worry most male snakes do this alot (not all) of mine are off there food atm including my MBK
i wish i knew this at the start of all this its been worrying me because hes never missed a feed with me .. :p how long is mating season? will that be why he went into shed earlier that usual? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Premier Citizen

i had this exact same issue with some spotteds i once had,not sure how i missed it but it turned out they had mites,rubbing up the viv 24/7 and off feed...being an mbk and very dark might be worth taking a very close look
Old 12-03-2010, 10:46 PM
5 Star Member

As has been said, don't worry about it, it's mating season for kings and milks. As for how long it is, I can't say. You'll know it though, when your MBK goes back to his normal behaviour. Just one of the quirks of male snakes! If you are concerned about nose rubbing on the glass, you can always tape some newspaper to it, so he can see he can't get through. this should reduce his attempts to worm his way through it!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris25 View Post
i had this exact same issue with some spotteds i once had,not sure how i missed it but it turned out they had mites,rubbing up the viv 24/7 and off feed...being an mbk and very dark might be worth taking a very close look
ive checked twice for mites all i found was a couple of damaged scales where he had retracted himself back into the viv when i opened the door .... i really hope its just down to mating season..
Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Forum Citizen

just a quick add , the nose rubbing on the glass stops when all the lights are off and just his red bulb is on..
Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyFidelis View Post
ive checked twice for mites all i found was a couple of damaged scales where he had retracted himself back into the viv when i opened the door .... i really hope its just down to mating season..
just an observation in my case,normally they wouldnt rub like they did..then i found the mites so in my case it appeared they were rubbing to show their discomfort?...soon as they were treated it stopped.was worth mentioning
Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Forum Citizen

it looks like hes trying to slide the doors open , he moves his head side to side but when the lights are off hes just climbing around all his plants and branches really active though and hasnt been in his hide since he shed his skin
Old 12-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyFidelis View Post
it looks like hes trying to slide the doors open , he moves his head side to side but when the lights are off hes just climbing around all his plants and branches really active though and hasnt been in his hide since he shed his skin
yep deffinatly horny lol mine has just gone in to brumination so i have the activeness to look forward to but my carpet python is having the active-trying to get out the tank thing going on and so is two of my male corns, hes just looking for a mate dont worry, its normal,

just keep offering food once a month should be out of it in 2-4 months dont worry he might ocasionally eat during this time but not always

my advice for when he comes out of season feed smaller then normal mice as he will of been fasting and metabolism will be slow

and for next time just before he is due for season for the few months coming up to it make sure hes getting enough food i do 2 xL mice (never rats) a week for 2 months, but he is a very large mbk

hope this helps