Big Snake Handling... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Big Snake Handling...

Hiya,

I'm not a rectic, 'conda or burmese keeper and doubt I will ever be, mainly due to the fact it would make me a single man but I've always wondered how big snake keepers manage with interaction, handling etc when the snake is easily much stronger and more powerful than the handler! How often do people handle their big snakes and what is it like?!

Cheers, David

Quote:
Originally Posted by grb
Rau,1933: Anyone who has watched insects or animals living their lives freely in the open knows that they do not always do their everyday duties in the same way; that there are in each population conservatives and radicals, stupid, brilliant, mediocre, and probably insane individuals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 PM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 6
Send a message via AIM to malky201 Send a message via Skype™ to malky201

I try to interact with my burm every other day, unless hes just been fed or in shed...and although he probably is much stronger than me he is just a dead weight and easy to handle.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Premier Citizen

its like holding a big, heavy, lump of pure muscle, i used to have a 12' burm which i handled alone (other people in house just incase) and was fine to handle, just very heavy and tirinh at times lol. was a joy to handle though, but mega strong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Postaholic Member

Depends on the snake. If its a feisty one you can deal with them, and its more exciting in a way. Its a lot more rewarding though with the more gentle animals such as burms by and large which are as described above pretty much dead weight. On the other hand a retic is constantly on it and moving around which makes gentle retics as exciting to deal with as anything else. Theyre rapid for their size and can weigh some aswell.
www.renewable-electric.co.uk - Solar and wind energy systems. MCS accredited installers. Get paid on a quarterly basis for all the electricity you generate via your existing supplier. We can engineer a solution to meet your demand and then some, to ensure the quickest payback time and also best return on investment.

Why not make a few pounds and help the environment in one go?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Ultra Citizen

apart from the weight my big burm is easier to work with than my boas, he is pretty slow moving and generally dosent grip too tight, i usually handle him on the floor rather than try to stand up with him and have someone to help when putting him back etc.
retics are a different ball game, very active when out and always trying to go where they arent supposed to altogether much more of a handful.
JustAng likes this.
0.0.1 nile monitor 0.0.1 asian water monitor
0.0.1 alligator snapping turtle 1.0 common snapper
1.0 jack russel 1.0 akita
Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Premier Citizen

We have an almost 9foot african rock and my boyfriend finds her much stronger and heavier to handle than my 11.5ft retic. Both snakes do not lie still like some burms do and so you are constantly having to "walk" them and it does start to get tiring pretty soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictly_scales View Post
I reckon the danger is that if the Boa tightened round his neck, he may drop the controller, lose the game, and in a massive fit of nerd rage, hurl the snake across the room before bursting into tears, dying his hair black and self harming for 3 hours.

Proud owner of many Retics, Burmese and African Rocks!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned
Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnell182 View Post
its like holding a big, heavy, lump of pure muscle,
gay much......

personally for me i dont handle mine...grab them by the tail and use a python hook
Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
gay much......

personally for me i dont handle mine...grab them by the tail and use a python hook
lol come try that with mine I bet she bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictly_scales View Post
I reckon the danger is that if the Boa tightened round his neck, he may drop the controller, lose the game, and in a massive fit of nerd rage, hurl the snake across the room before bursting into tears, dying his hair black and self harming for 3 hours.

Proud owner of many Retics, Burmese and African Rocks!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to josemarquezz

retics are completely different , mine is small and shes been so active since i got her and ive seen retics that are a real giant and they always try to move to whenever they want, they feel they have the control jeje, in the other hand my burm is so friendly jajaj, hes always comfprtable with you and never wants to escape

this is my retic

and this is my burm

Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Forum Citizen

Wow, quick answers cheers people sounds like the rectics are a tiring snake to handle! I've only got a royal at the moment but I've met & handled quite a few different types of snakes, none bigger than 10ft though mind you (except when I was 10 and went to the Isle of Wight Zoo - 6 of us holding a rectic or conda, cant remember which but I do remember I had the head!)
...My royal can really squeeze when he wants to so always wondered how you would manage 10+ footers, but I guess they are a different species of snake so act and behave differently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grb
Rau,1933: Anyone who has watched insects or animals living their lives freely in the open knows that they do not always do their everyday duties in the same way; that there are in each population conservatives and radicals, stupid, brilliant, mediocre, and probably insane individuals.