BRB toilet habits? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 13-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to Boa Lover
Question BRB toilet habits?

Hey guys,im just curious if anyone on here can advise me on how often a juvenile BRB should go to the loo. Ive had mine for 5 weeks now,hes an 09 and is about 24" long max,hes a great little snake,lovely temper and seems to love being out.

Ive been feeding him 2/3 rat pups every 10 days,his temps are all good (im using a mat with on/off stat at the mo but going to get a pulse one soon) and he has 90% humidity. Hes nice and slim.

Hes been to the loo about 4 times since ive had him,everytime seemed to be urates though and not actual poo. Is this normal for a young rainbow boa? I know BCIs can take ages to go to the loo proper so is it just a boa thing?

Cheers guys
Kenyan Sand Boa 0.1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Regular

Mines about the same size as yours but feeds less frequently. Mine only goes just after a shed so every 4-8 weeks or so. Be warned- the smell is far worse than from Royals or BCI's for some reason!
Old 13-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffster View Post
Mines about the same size as yours but feeds less frequently. Mine only goes just after a shed so every 4-8 weeks or so. Be warned- the smell is far worse than from Royals or BCI's for some reason!
Thanks for the reply,guess its too early to start worrying then. Mine had his first shed with me a week or so ago,he did discard some urates just after.

Do you think i may be over feeding him?
Kenyan Sand Boa 0.1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Super Regular

No. Sounds about right. You might want to start looking at small weaners (there is a big jump in size from Rat pups/ fluffs!) if you can. My BRB is so chilled I can't get him/ her to eat enough so will get a small weaner weekly for 4 weeks then will skip for 4 weeks. I have heard that BRB's can be gannets of the snake world, but also that appetite is proportional to aggressive behaviour- snappy ones eat lots. I guess I'm happy with my (docile) slow grower...!
Old 13-05-2010, 08:54 PM
5 Star Member

My BRB is also 09 but I feed him differently to you - he has been on 2 fuzzies every 4 days and I've just moved him onto crawlers which seem to be the next size up.

He tends to poop the day before his next feed - I can always see it as hes on orchid bark and always trashes my neatly placed moss (!) but I can always smell it.

I was given contradicting advice on how to feed them at that age: my mate (who is very experienced with a DWA license) advised pinkies/fuzzies every 3 days, and then another guy told me I was effectively 'starving' them by feeding so regularly.

Reasoning behind this is that apparently they will poop too early if they know they've got another feed coming, therefore not getting enough nutrients from the mouse...

However - the way I feed Dexter works for him, hes happy,healthy and growing at a ferocious rate which is the most important thing!!
Old 13-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Super Regular

Thanks for all the input guys,ill be sure to take it all onboard,cheers!
Kenyan Sand Boa 0.1.0