Reptile Forums banner

urgent please help got no money and i really need my snake treated!!!!!!!!!!!!

2K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  gizmossister 
#1 ·
hi everyone i took my new snake to the vets yesterday coz he had some very old layers of shed on the very end of his tail, this fell off and as a result there was a small sore and some skin had sluffed off with bleeding. he also had some constriction of his tail a little higher up which i was worried would damage the blood flow to the tip of his tail.

they advised me to soak in warm water and try to peal the shed off, i did this where the constriction was as best as possible but also more of the skin at the tip has sluffed off :S. however the constriction appeared to get better due to the water swelling it, however this morning it has come bk and the end of his tail is weeping a clear fluid like humans do with wet grazing, i have been treating this with tamodine and keeping his hide moist but to no avail.

my reptile speciallist at the shifnal vets (i have no transport to get to) advised salty water and vaseline to soften it. my local vets has said surgically scrapeing or amputation is the way to go if it hasnt loosened (but im only going on what little i have of my student loan!!!).

What should i do?????

please read it all before you comment

thanks

Emily

See less See more
#3 ·
ok hang on let me get my camera!!!

#4 ·
showing constriction and at the tip sluffed off skin with drop lets of clear fluid above and below the tail

constriction top view

better view (ignore the feet lol)

close up (the sluffef off skin is the pink bit at the end and then the lumps just above that is the weepy fluid of new sluff)

anyone got any ideas about what to do!!!!!

#5 ·
looks more like its not a wound from skin retention rather than skin aound the tail....however its not very clear....shouldnt be any need to cut the tail off.,....the wound is white...that means the tissue is living

#6 ·
thats ok thats what i thought when i saw it and it did bleed when the shed fell off. is there anything else i can do appart from maybe get some cream from the vets just to keep it clean, soften the skin and prevent infection??

sorry bout the clarity my camera wouldnt focus properly :S

#10 ·
hmmm dunno with the wound weeping aswell!!

#13 ·
WLW ur legendness does precede u lol. i will try the honey i have very pure natural honey from morocco would that be ok??? or shall i go out and buy some lol.

he is in isolation as i only got him on saturday so he is already on newspaper appart from the moss in his hide to keep his tail moist.

#15 ·
okey dokie i will give it a go still gonna go to the vets see if they have any other cream that does the same thing but gonna get the honey too :D thanks for your help will keep everyone updated as to how everything is going with him but he doesnt seem to be too bothered by his tail its to stop me worrying more than anything loll. :no1:

#16 ·
ok that honey was stupidly expensive but tasty :D dnt worry ive not been licking it off his tail that would be wrong. mmmmm honey marinated snnaaakkkeee.... huh oh what? sorry, i wouldnt loll be one expensive barbecue lol.

anyway in an update the Ky jelly i bought has appeared to make the skin on his tail feel more supple and it appears as though the swelling has gone downs slightly thanks to the honey so i will keep at it, i put it on last nite and again this morning, but any ideas on how often i should redo it? because he does wipe it off fairly quickly but i do make sure i massage it into his tail which he doesnt seem to mind lol.

thanks for everyones help :no1:

#18 ·
okey dokie thank yooouuu :no1:

#19 ·
ok treatment WAS going really well until my royal decided to change his name to houdini get out of his feeding box and tangle himself on the internal mechanisms of my recliner sofa, he has now taken the healing skin of the end of his tail and it started bleeding again :bash:. he really is a pain in the bum he has already broken the fake background off the back of the vivarium he is soooooo naughty:whip: grrrrrrrr:devil:

#23 ·
nothing compaired to what they thought when my mom couldnt hear me on the phone and made me repeat enema 3 times :blush: coz thats what i had to take my cat to the vets to have done :lol2:

#22 ·
ive put him bk in his rub again its better than the original wound im just annoyed that he reopened it thats all my hard work down the drain :devil:, i cant mess with him now either coz he did it just after eating :bash:

#24 ·
i was stood at work my mum rings up and a the top her voice announced a bloke had rang and said he only had 3 cannabis plants not 4 so would send me something else instead...baring in mind we have a strickt drugs and alcohol policy...turns out it was the bloke from 888reptiles who id just bought fake plants off for the viv!!! did i get some looks!!!

#27 ·
yh i didnt think snakes could have personalities but he has the personality of a naughty 3 year old boy lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.