Reptile Forums banner

BRB question

312 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  lukendaniel 
#1 ·
I recently bought a BRB hatchling, a real beauty, everything seems ok but I'm a bit worried about whether I need to change his viv etc. I think he is about 2/3 months old he is approx 20 inches long. I currently have him in an exo terra faunarium thingy that is the 18 x 12 x 8 one. It has a heat mat and theormostat, water, hide and I out in a wet hide with Spagnum as I'm hoping this helps the humidity. I have the heat mat set so its showing temp of approx 80 degrees at the hot end.

The snake has shed and has been eating really well, did refuse a feed last night though.

My question is since I put in the spagnum hide which was when he was shedding, he seems to have decided to live in there permanently, he just does not come out (not that I see while I'm awake!) he may well come out during the night but hes basically become reclusive. Should I take the hide out? I'm not wild about the faunarium and would like to move him to a wooden viv but I'm not sure of the size I could consider as he is such a baby still, this is mainly cos I don't think the temps and humidity are right in the plastic tank, I find it really hard to get the temps etc balanced. Is he too little for a viv?

Also he refused his feed last night is this ok, hes never refused before, it seemed like it was because he didn't want to come out of the moss! He just lies curled up in the very bottom of it all the time.

Any help much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd up the warm end another 2 - 4f, lightly mist the rest of the viv once a day or so and leave him the humid hide.
I wouldn't bother putting him in a propper viv unless you got a small one you can use for now, otherwise you'll just spend again on his final viv.
Get an RUB if you wanna give him more space, cheaper and does the job fine.

#3 ·
Thanks for that, how small is small? and what size do you reckon I need ultimately?

I've got a year old Royal in a 2ft viv, I was thinking about moving her to a 3ft and putting the BRB in the 2ft?

#4 ·
Yeh that could work... is it a 2ft cube?? Shouldn't matter as long as there's some decent hides for the snake.
My rainbow is similar size, couple inches bigger, she's going into probally a 40 or 45 Litre RUB this week and that'll be fine for her for a decent time (Considering the tub will cost less than 10quid).

#5 ·
Hi its not a cube, its about 2ft x 20 x 18/20 inches. What exactly is a RUB?!

#6 ·
RUB = Really Useful Box. A Storage box.

That lil viv sounds like it'll be ok, just give some good hides :)

#10 ·
what substrate have u gt the brb on i wold use orchid bark as we did when we first got our 6 brb, the trouble with faunarium is there is a lot of ventilation and so dry out very easily humidity wants to be really high 70-80% so you could try covering some of the ventilation with cling film or a tea towel to help keep humidity higher hope this helps

daniel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.