4 line not feeding (Elaphe quatuorlineata muenteri) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 17-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Super Regular
Default 4 line not feeding (Elaphe quatuorlineata muenteri)

As the title says, was eating non stop up until about a month ago.
I have changed its tank so maybe this is the problem?
I hjave also tried to increase the temperature and that makes no difference.

I've tried to feed it mice, rats and chicks with no joy (even tried a live feed, very naughty i know! With no joy.)

Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilson View Post
As the title says, was eating non stop up until about a month ago.
I have changed its tank so maybe this is the problem?
I hjave also tried to increase the temperature and that makes no difference.

I've tried to feed it mice, rats and chicks with no joy (even tried a live feed, very naughty i know! With no joy.)

Any advice appreciated.
what was the reason for the tank change? Details of the change, size dif, type of heating etc.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Ultra Citizen

Seems alot to try in a month, although I have no experience with this species there are some things which work for most.

On changing to a new tank the snake needs to be left alone for a week or so to get used to its new surroundings. Then you can try to feed, but going live in a month is rushing things a little. Try leaving the mouse in the tank over night, stike feeding, braining scenting etc first, but don't bombard the snake, offer only once a week. I'm assuming it's an adult so it should be able to go quite a while without food if it's in good condition to start.

Double & triple check your set up, especially temps, honest mistakes can be made when setting up a new tank and you may find the temps just aren't quite right x

1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sausage
2.4 Corn Snakes - Cynpher, Frosty, Squishy, Fisk, Callisto & Phoenix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Hatchling

Another question for you to answer while you are at it, if you don't mind.

Have you changed mouse supplier recently? I have a snake that would NOT eat when i bought mice from a certain breeder, yet all of my other snakes would without question.
Old 17-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Super Regular

Tank is about a foot longer then the previous one.
The only reason for the tank change is because i am replastering the whole room its stored in (the change is only temporary)
The heat source is a heatmat as i was told a light source is not needed?

The mouse supplier has always been the same. I get them from tiny boa's (formerly known as southwest reptiles) in Exeter
Old 17-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quite often European Ratsnakes will enter a period of aestivation (summer brumation), where they will refuse food for a while. I've had Western & Eastern Fourlined that have refused food for 3-4 months during the summer.

Its quite a normal occurrence and may have nothing to do with moving the snake. As long you have no health worries with it, then a trip to the vet would be in order, just carry on offering food at 10-14 day intervals.

In my experience they will continue feeding when there ready. I usually feed heavy at the beginning of the year with Fourlined in anticipation of the aestivation period and then again in preparation for brumation. Give him a few smaller meals when he does start feeding though, so you don't put too much strain on his digestion.
Old 18-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Regular

That actually sounds about right, Windy, thanks for the info.
I can recall it doing something similar some time ago (last year).

Though i am not sure if its western or eastern, how do i tell?
I was given it by my sisters partner a couple years ago.
Old 18-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Ultra Citizen

Hi mrwilson

You give the scientific name Elaphe quatuorlineata muenteri, so it is neither, the subspecies that you have is called the Cyclades Fourlined Ratsnakes, it is an island form from Greece. They don't grow as large as the Westerns.

The Western Fourlined is Elaphe quatuorlineata quatuorlineata
The Eastern Fourlined is Elaphe [quatuorlineata] sauromates (recently been given full species status)

Elaphe quatuorlineata muenteri has also been split into two more subspecies recently,

E. q. scyrensis an island form from Skyros and E. q. parensis an island form from Paros

Ref: Cattaneo, A. 1999. Variabilità e sottospecie di Elaphe quattuorlineata (Lacépède) nelle piccole isole Egee (Serpentes: Colubridae). Atti Soc. it. Sci. nat. Museo civ. Stor. nat. Milano 140: 119-139.

But that's just a side note, as it would be impossible to say if yours had the characteristics of one of the new subspecies. Captive care is basically the same for them all.

If you kept some kind of record, feeding, sloughing etc, it would be helpful in the future, because you can then look back and see if there is any annual cycles occurring and be better prepared, less stress for the animal and for you.

Its great that my post jogged your memory and you remembered it did the same last year ... hopefully this is an indication that it is an aestivation period. Just like when an animal wants to brumate, there is no way of enticing it into eating usually, its just a natural inbuilt cycle, saying that sometimes offering smaller than normal food items works eg, ratpups.

But my advise would be, if it isn't losing weight and there are no signs of ill health, just appreciate that this is part of its life style and offer its normal prey once every 10-14 days until it decides its ready to eat.

Leopard Snakes (Zamenis situla) can be the same ... I expect its a similar thing with Royal Pythons ... keepers used to worry about them fasting ... now its just excepted that its a quirk of that species if not an annual cycle.

You have quite a rare (in the hobby) Ratsnake there mrwilson, it would be lovely to see some photos and hear a little more about how you keep it.

I'm just a vacuum for all things ratsnake, so love hearing of others experiences and methods of keeping

Sue x
Old 18-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Super Regular

Great read thanks once again.

Taking a picture is alot harder then i expected lol it wont stay still for 2 seconds
Old 18-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Ultra Citizen

Your welcome, and when you can, would love to see a photo, so just bump this thread with it and I'll get a notification

Sue x

Tags
4 line , elaphe quatuorlineata