Bitey MBK - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 26-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Super Regular
Default Bitey MBK

Hey guys,

Ive got a male Black Mexican King snake. He gets handled about twice a week and used to be as good as gold, ive only been bitten by him once in 10 years and that was a feeding response. However, in the past couple of weeks he has become a right miserable sod. To the point that he has been striking at the glass when I walk past.

Any ideas on what could have caused this??? His temperature is fine (27 C) he isnt underweight and eats and poos absolutely fine.

I dont mind getting bitten and I know Kind Snakes are like that a little, but he is ridiculous.

Any ideas would be appreciated thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Premier Member

Got my adult mbk about 2 weeks ago and every time i pick him up he gives a feeding responce bite even when picked up 2 days after been fed cant understand it doesnt show any sign of agrresion through
Old 27-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Super Regular

Ye, mine was always a bit snappy around feeding time, but recently Im pretty sure that hes turned into a psychopath. If I want to handle him, then I know Im going to get bitten, even when Im holding him, he'll double back and grab hold. I dont know what his issue is lol!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozzarelli View Post
Ye, mine was always a bit snappy around feeding time, but recently Im pretty sure that hes turned into a psychopath. If I want to handle him, then I know Im going to get bitten, even when Im holding him, he'll double back and grab hold. I dont know what his issue is lol!!
thats excactly the same as mine seems to do it in slow motion mouth wide open when hes near what he wants to bite have even tryed washing hands in cold water and get the temp down abit but not worked now whenever i pick him up i fill the sink ready with water
Old 27-07-2010, 09:53 PM
5 Star Member

For MBK read

RULE 1 "I am a grumpy git, I will bite you when you least expect it & purr when you expect me to bite"

RULE 2 See rule 1

My MBK obeys these rules all the time with out fail, before feed, after feed, before shed, after shed, need I say more

More about Aimo www.nosmia.me.uk/

More about Fleams
Old 27-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish66 View Post
thats excactly the same as mine seems to do it in slow motion mouth wide open when hes near what he wants to bite have even tryed washing hands in cold water and get the temp down abit but not worked now whenever i pick him up i fill the sink ready with water
Thats exactly the same as mine, you see his mouth open and him figuring out the best angle of attack. Ive tried everything, I thought it may be the smell of the other snakes, even though I wash my hands thoroughly between, so I handled him first and BANG snake dangling of my finger lol!!!
Old 29-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Hatchling

i'm just guessing but have you touched any of the food? if so then your scent is on it and he might be associating your scent with food, just a guess.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Super Citizen

Strange for him to completely change after 10 years - personally I would get a fecal check done to see if he's irritated internally by something. I'm not sure if that's a scientific reason to be behaving madly, it's just what I'd do!

Otherwise he's just hitting some grumpy mid-life phase. Like my father.

Old 29-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Ultra Citizen

here is a tip a kingsnake keeper gave me. get a 2l coke bottle. cut off the bottom of the bottle. then you can move the bottle over the snakes head and place your hand in and pick it up. if it does try to strike then it only hits the soft plastic and doesn't harm the snake. it should then stop trying to strike as it will know it can't reach you.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Posting Deity

from what iv'e heard most mbk's are stroppy
i just learnt to get use'd to it
but aswell mine bites and musks when i pick her up with my hands but she pretty good when i use my hook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER HANS View Post
Tyler, not everything can be solved by punching it in the face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
For some reason I have an irrational fascination with you Tyler. I want to have your babies

Tags
mexican black king; mbk