Help with Kids and Snakes - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 07-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Regular
Question Help with Kids and Snakes

Now please bare with me, on this question.

My husband and I do shows, talks and visits to clubs, and we educate and teach children about Reptiles, namely Snakes.

Now my question is How can I tell children nicely, polietly and forcefully, with no threats to stay away from the Snakes head, when we or they are holding them.

We've told children not to do this, but they don't always listen. Now you do that to any, I mean ANY animal on a bad day and they'll swipe, bite or whatever at you. We also have Cats, they have a lot of bad days

Whilst I don't mind getting bitten, I do mind, some kid who does, just because he/she has pissed off my Animal.

Any advice would be helpful. Our Snakes are all rescued and can have off/ bad days, just like us humans but how can we stop/ prevent children from getting hurt or from injurying my animals.?

Yes we are insured, and licensed.

Last edited by p3_arme; 07-11-2010 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: wrong terminology used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to nooney165

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3_arme View Post
Now please bare with me, on this question.

My husband and I do shows, talks and visits to clubs, and we educate and teach children about Reptiles, namely Snakes.

Now my question is How can I tell children nicely, polietly and forcefully, with no threats to stay away from the Snakes head, when we or they are holding them.

We've told children not to do this, but they don't always listen. Now you do that to any, I mean ANY animal on a bad day and they'll swipe, bite or whatever at you. We also have Cats, they have a lot of bad days

Whilst I don't mind getting bitten, I do mind, some idiot kid who does, just because he/she has pissed off my Animal.

Any advice would be helpful. Our Snakes are all rescued and can have off/ bad days, just like us humans but how can we stop/ prevent children from getting hurt or from injurying my animals.?

Yes we are insured, and licensed.
dont let them hold or touch just look

Old 07-11-2010, 04:39 PM
5 Star Member

I would try the 'you don't like being knocked on the head do you?' tactic........the only way I could explain it to my little one. She's 7 now and brilliant with all the boas. Or the slightly more direct appproach 'If you go near my snake's head it WILL bite you'

Old 07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Premier Member

Can't you just be honest with them? All you have to say is "Please don't pester him round his face, snakes are easily frightened by that". I hope you don't mind me saying, but it actually sounds like you resent doing what you do - your whole terminology screams "I hate kids". "Some idiot kid" might never have met a snake, "some idiot kid" might have learning difficulties or trouble at home. Compassion towards kids would go a long way in helping you receive it for your snakes! We were all kids once (some of us more recently than others haha, I've yet to grow up!) and speaking to them and about them how you wish to be spoken to is the way to go. Kids are surprisingly quiet and gentle when they are reminded why they need to be.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Regular

just like you've stated.

snakes can wake up grumpy just like you (the children) but instead of shouting or slamming doors they might nip to let you know it's not ok today so just incase it's having a grumpy day stay away from the end with teeth please!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Regular

Thanks for the advice, and with regards to Children comments, I've worked with children, for part of my career but animals seem to bring out an odd side to some .

I do like children, I'm just at a bit of a loss how to keep them out of the snakes face (after being told the snake will bite them) when the parents just stand there letting them do if after being told. I don't really want to go as far as putting the snakes away as I'd rather everyone (especially first timers or those with a fear of snakes) have a chance to touch and handle these beautiful creatures.
All our snakes are good temperament and are not used of they don't want to come out for the day, but I'd rather not take chances if I don't have to.

Last edited by p3_arme; 07-11-2010 at 05:22 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Premier Member

have you tried the sit in a circle thing? it works well with young children that are quite young. having taken my snakes into my lads nursery i ask them to sit in a circle with me in the middle and sit on thier hands. i then show the snake around the circle to them one at a time ensuring the head is facing me. depending on how much i trust the snake (and the children) i will sometimes allow them one at a time to touch the snakes back so they all get a ytouch, but at minimal risk to the kids and as little stress to the snake as possible...

Hook me up a new revolution, Coz this one is a lie.....
Old 07-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla-Marie View Post
I would try the 'you don't like being knocked on the head do you?' tactic........the only way I could explain it to my little one. She's 7 now and brilliant with all the boas. Or the slightly more direct appproach 'If you go near my snake's head it WILL bite you'
We told our two not to touch the snakes head cause it might bite you, rather let the snake come to your hand cause then he wont bite you. Worked a charm, kids love the snake and the snake loves the kids (if thats possible)...
Old 07-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Premier Citizen

Hold the head yourself, and let them pet it's back.

Or...

Tell them, "Don't touch the snake's head now guys, they don't like that, but you can touch the rest of it."
1.0.0 Normal Corn snake - Muscles | 1.0.0 Normal Royal - Zeus|0.1.0 Albino Tangerine Honduran MIilk snake - Citrus | 1.0.0 Sunglow Boa - Basil |0.1.0 Silver Trans Pecos Rat snake - Phantom |0.1.0 Mexican Black King snake - Eden |1.0.1 South Carolina Corn snakes - (RIP)Maya(RIP), Aztec, (RIP)Piccolini(RIP), Inca.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Ultra Citizen

they have a handling session at the amazonia in strathclyde park up here and they only let children touch the animals if they all line up and put their hands down on the table, palms up and the animal is placed on top of their hands, this works very well as you just explain to them they have to do that to touch the delicate animal and they are nowhere near the head... If they do go for it then you have more than enough time to remove and advise again

Tags
snakes