Quick Boa Q - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Super Regular
Default Quick Boa Q

Hi Guys,

A few quick questions regarding Boas.

I understand thermal blocking is an issue with thicker bodied snakes but if you had a juvenile in a RUB, would a heat mat be ok? at what sort of size/weight should it be moved to a properviv and what size will thermal blocking become a factor? What would the best way to heat the viv be? Ceramic with a dimmer stat, rep radiator or an AHS heater etc?

what would the best size RUB be for a juvenile?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
5 Star Member

I use 9L RUBS for baby boas then move up quite soon after to 18L until they're about 6-9 months (depending on how big they grow!) Then I move them into vivs. You can 'just tell' when the RUB is getting too small. I use 3 foot vivs at first and then move them up to 4x2x2 or 6x2x2 (except one pair which are in 6x2x3) when they outgrow the previous viv. You could always use 33 or 50 L RUBS before going straight to vivs.

I use heat mats with RUBS placing the mats underneath the RUB. I use a long mat which sits beneath 2/4 RUBS and my mats are individually statted.

I use ceramic bulbs (always guarded) in my vivs on pulse stats. I haven't used AHS heaters although have heard lots of good things about them. They are more expensive. If my ceramic goes up the shoot it's only £10 to replace the bulb
Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Premier Citizen

lots of ppl use mats with larger snakes buddy! with racking systems, rhino's and vivs etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Regular

cheers guys, i was under the impression mats were a no no for larger snakes tho?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Premier Member

I would never use a mat with a heavy snake if in a viv.Ceramics or red bulbs in vivs give a better temp gradient and raise the ambient temp.Mats for under rubs
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Premier Citizen

I use heat mats for all my Boas & have never had any issues. For me mats are the best option.

Mats will not work well in a large viv if in a cold room as they do not provide enough heat to keep the ambient temp up. This is not a problem for me because the temperature of my snake room is constant & high enough. If your viv is in a cooler room you may need to use a heat source with a higher heat output such as ceramic heaters.

Marc

Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Ultra Citizen

I would only use mats when they are still in RUBs, ceramics all the way once in a viv.

SHRED TILL YOU'RE DEAD!!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Ultra Citizen

Thermal blocking is only an issue if the snake can sit directly onto the mat and increase the pressure applied to the mat itself; this can cause localised hotspots that may not be controlled by the thermostat and result in burns. If the mat is outside of the tub, thermal blocking cant occur in the same way and cause injury to the snake.

I use a 500w ahs to heat the 5x2x1.5 for my bci, whilst it works, I think it would be more efficiently heated using a normal ceramic, it just doesnt seem to heat the air as well as the conventional ceramics on my royals.
1.0.0 heterodon nasicus - Bacon
2.1.0 gekko gekko - Mr Snuffles, Miss Giggles, Boo
2.0.0 felis catus - Taj, Nermal
1.0.0 ambystoma mexicanum - Wolverine
0.0.1 phelsuma grandis - circletrianglehead
1.0.0 eryx colubrinus - Scribble
3.0.0 Extatosoma tiaratum - Cyanide, Happiness, Andrew
1.0.0 candoia bibroni australis - Sappela
0.1.0 homo sapiens - Purple-Vixen

RFUK Member #20533
RKBU Member #15
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by forteh View Post
Thermal blocking is only an issue if the snake can sit directly onto the mat and increase the pressure applied to the mat itself; this can cause localised hotspots that may not be controlled by the thermostat and result in burns. If the mat is outside of the tub, thermal blocking cant occur in the same way and cause injury to the snake.

I use a 500w ahs to heat the 5x2x1.5 for my bci, whilst it works, I think it would be more efficiently heated using a normal ceramic, it just doesnt seem to heat the air as well as the conventional ceramics on my royals.
what they said.

Tags
bci , boa