Reptile Forums banner

Hognose Brumation Question.

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ian14 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Just a general question.

What do you think is the minium an efficient brumation period could be?

Cheers.
Pat.

#9 ·
I totally agree with the points made by Gregg. One thing that never ceases to amaze me on here is that at the first sign of the slightest husbandry error, people jump all over it and are quick to criticise, not thinking sometimes that there is no one correct way to keep any given species. Yet despite this, it seems as if hardly anyone is willing to provide a correct year-round environment for temperate snakes, which means seasonal changes, in other words a period of brumation. Keepers of boids appear to do this, but not temperate colubrids. This is part of the natural life cycle, it provides a period of rest for the body to recover, and also allows the production of fertile sperm. Denying them brumation is likely to reduce the lifespan and over the years reduce fertility.

#12 ·
That is a bit funny... Many people fail to see the importance in proper brumation... It has been studied and proven that captive reptiles that are brumated properly produce more viable offspring and live longer, healthier lives...

In my opinion, people who keep these snakes and do not provide a natural cycle are not doing all they can... It is easier to keep them awake than it is to provide proper brumation temps...

These snakes will go off feed and when they do, that is a big sign that they are ready for brumation... If you keep them awake during the non-feeding time, your animal will lose more weight than it should... Their metabolism is still active, but they are not eating...
If you brumate them during this time, they will not lose weight... When snakes come out of brumation, they will feed normally again...

#14 ·
brumation

i keep and breed a number of hognose as well as various lizards and the first thing i do when thinking of a new aquisition is research where the animal comes from,the type of climate, and its various needs. surely any responsible keeper should try to copy the variations in the speices location? You could argue that if you buy a captive bred animal this does not apply but the animals genetics are still the same. I can't see why brumation is a problem,if nothing else you save money on food and heating for 8-12 weeks and put the animal in the right condition for breeding.it seems only fair if you are keeping any animal (cat,dog crocodile etc) that you do all in your power to make it as comfortable as it can be in captivity.

you may not agree with my points but i have been keeping and breeding exotics for nearly 20 years so my methods can't be that bad nor can those that have bothered to take the time, effort and in some case loss of animals to research and share experiences on how best to keep reptiles which is what we all want to do!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.