Reptile Forums banner

Bit of a newbie question, but what next?

1K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  kingcobra070q 
#1 ·
Im just wondering what you guys think would be a good snake for my next snakey. At the moment I have a baby corn and a Pueblan Milk Snake, I have had in the past 3 corns, a Mexican Black and a royal. Ive been keeping snakes for about 3 years, with a little gap in between. I would like a bit of a bigger snake for my next one, but not too big, theres an albino burm in my local reptile shop but I dont think thats a very good idea because I hear they grow pretty quickly to start with, so I have been considering a Boa, but im not too sure. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, James.

#5 ·
I have been thinking about carpet pythons, beautiful snakes, but I really like jaguar carpets lol, do you know how much these cost and how hard they are to get hold of, or would you recommend starting with a normal carpet?
cheers.

#4 ·
I'm a bit embarressed by the reason i dont have the snakes anymore, its because i went to australia in 2008 for 3 weeks, and when i got back my mum had decided that she didnt want the snakes in the house anymore and got rid of them, you wont be surprised that i was more than a little p!ssed off with this, but now that im a little older she doesnt mind at all anymore, and i have recently picked up another corn to get me started again, and a few days later i saw a Pueblan and had to have it. But i do have a little experience and I do pretty much know what im doing when it comes to snakes, I spend alot of free time looking up about snakes and whatnot, and have done since i was about 12, just before i got my first snake. So I know i would be able to give the requirements to any new snake, but I just would like someone to point me in the right direction, as I dont want anything that im not going to be able to afford.
Thanks.

#7 ·
you'll pick up a carpet sibling from £50 upwards

a diamond jungle for £150 ish

if you had a budget of £200 theres plenty carpets you would be able to afford mate

they are easy to keep

on display hanging off a branch most days

loads of different colours and patterns

great feeding response

forgiving if mistakes are made very hardy species

anything from 4 to 8 feet in legnth roughly the girth of a coke can

cheers shaun

#6 ·
dwarf boas are a good start into a larger species,theres a few on here for sale.. look up gaz hes a great guy and top quality animals at really good prices,hes always at hand to give advice too.
good luck dude

#10 ·
Cheers matey I'll have a look :)

#8 ·
By the way im not claiming to be an expert, i know alot of knowledge comes from experience, which i dont have much in as i have only had snakes that are easy to care for. In fact I probably dont know as much as i think i do, but i like to think i know a bit :p

#9 ·
Whats the budget for both enclosure and snake?
Are you planning on going to Uni?
Are you moving out from the parents anytime soon as rented may not allow pets (including snakes) and space may be smaller especially if you have an 8x4x4 viv for a mainland retic.
How much money do you have for food, heating and up keep per week or month?
What does your mum say on the next snake, not really sure she sounds to keen on getting anything other than the norm if sold your snakes before. As a minor, do you not need parental permission anyways when buying a snake from a shop?
What type of snake do you want? Colubrid, boid, nocturnal, duirnal, arboreal...?

Lots of questions to a question really.

#17 ·
My budget isnt amazing at the moment, im not talking about getting a new snake in a couple of minutes, im just thinking for when i do get a bit more money. I'm not planning on going to uni, I'm at college doing welding and fabrication at the moment and will be there for another 3 years. I dont think i will be moving out just yet, I couldnt afford to live on my own at the moment. I know that I could afford the upkeep for a snake, i get enough money to do that, im certain I could look after the snake after the initial costs. My mum is fine with me and my snakes now, she didnt get rid of them because she doesnt like them in the house, its because she thought i had lost interest, which i hadnt. Well i'm seventeen so I dont need parental permission, I dont want you to think that im a kid that doesnt know what im doing, i love snakes and would never get anything i didnt think i could give good conditions too and all that, i would make sure i could look after the snake and would make sure i could give the correct requirements. I'm not too fussy about that, whatever snake i like i will make sure i read as much as possible about it before i even looked into bringing one home. Thanks. :)

#21 ·
Nah shes not a bitch lol, she was actually doing what she thought was in the snakes interest, shes an animal lover herself, and she just thought that i might not look after the snakes because she thought i was losing interest, i wasnt but she didnt know, she didnt do it out of spite or anything, and she is absolutely fine with me having snakes now as she knows i will look after them and she can see i care by how i talk about snakes and waffle on about stuff to do with snakes that no one in my house could really care less about lol.

#14 ·
Im just wondering what you guys think would be a good snake for my next snakey. At the moment I have a baby corn and a Pueblan Milk Snake, I have had in the past 3 corns, a Mexican Black and a royal. Ive been keeping snakes for about 3 years, with a little gap in between. I would like a bit of a bigger snake for my next one, but not too big, theres an albino burm in my local reptile shop but I dont think thats a very good idea because I hear they grow pretty quickly to start with, so I have been considering a Boa, but im not too sure. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, James.
how about a dwarf boa? crawl cay boa?
or a spotted python or childrens python, don't grow large at all, fab snakes!
or a carpet python!! :flrt:

#23 ·
Cheers! I'l have a look into them all. What im trying to get out of this question is a few snakes that i can look into and decide what looks like a good option. I'm leaning towards carpets at the moment!

#24 ·
I will defo have a look, cheers!

#16 ·
papau new guinea hatchling

reduced pattern irian jaya

75% irian jag reduced pattern

50% jungle jag

bredl

can't resist diamond

gives you an idea of what your looking for then just do a bit of research and you'll be just fine mate

cheers shaun

#25 ·
papau new guinea hatchling
reduced pattern irian jaya
75% irian jag reduced pattern
50% jungle jag
bredl
can't resist diamond

gives you an idea of what your looking for then just do a bit of research and you'll be just fine mate

cheers shaun

Thanks alot! They are all beautiful, and that bredl is a beaut, they all are actually, but then again you wont find a snake that i dont think is amazing lol. But thanks alot mate thats really helpful, cheers! I'm definitely having a look into these. Thank you.

#30 ·
Cheers mate, I'll have a look :) Ta.

#33 ·
I have thought about a BCI, and there is one in my local pet shop that I have been looking at recently, I have actually been saving a bit or money back for it, but alot of people on here have been recommending carpets and I'm really interested in them now, but im still thinking about the Boa and will be keeping my eye on it. I'm not TOO worried about the temperament to be honest, as every snake can be different if you know what I mean. I've still got quite a bit of thinking to do, and now that I have to pay for my car to have a new gear box I'm probably going to be waiting a while before I can even think about looking into buying a snake :( Cheers :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.