I NEED ADVICE!!--Coastal Carpet Python-- - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 22-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Default I NEED ADVICE!!--Coastal Carpet Python--

I have what I thought and was told to be a Jungle Carpet Python. I have recently listed him online because hes too big for me to handle by myself...When I got him I was with someone, but being alone with a big snake like him scares me. Someone saw my ad and emailed me and informed me that hes not a Jungle Carpet Python, hes a Coastal Carpet...My snake, George is about 8ft long. Ive also been told that hes too fat...All this time I thought I had a healthy snake I find out hes not even what I thought he was, plus he was unhealthily "chubby". So what do I do to fix this problem? I have gone by what I was told to do...Feed him 2 rats every 2-3 weeks. Thats all ive ever done, for feeding. I always keep fresh bedding, clean soaking dish, and his cage is plenty big enough, some say its too big. What can I do to fix the "chubby" issue and how can I get to the bottom of what kind of Carpet he is?? Zippy05/George - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The link to all my pics I have of him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via ICQ to sami Send a message via MSN to sami

Certanly looks all costal to me. I'm certainly no expert it could be a cross etc. Lots of crosses about.

Mason

Last edited by sami; 22-10-2007 at 08:41 AM..
Old 22-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Premier Member

I would agree that he looks to be a Coastal,and he is on the chunky side ,so the first thing is to reduce the amount your feeding him,I'd go for one adult rat every 2 weeks for starters,and like any other animal really,more exercise.Getting weight off snakes can be a slow process,but it can be done.Don't worry about feeding him less food,pythons are largely opportunistic hunters by nature and are well equipped to deal in rises and lulls in available prey.Less food and 1/2 an hour romp round the living room each night should start to see results.Good luck.
Advertisement

Old 22-10-2007, 09:48 AM
5 Star Member

Blimey! That is one large snake.

As suggested; you need to give him lots of exercise and feed only 1 med to large(ish) rat every 14 days 'till he's of a healthy weight again.

2 massive rats every 2-3 weeks was bound to make him 'chubby'. Whoever told you to feed him that way doesn't know what they were talking about and shouldn't be giving advice to people!
Old 22-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Hobgoblin Send a message via Skype™ to Hobgoblin

That snake is rather big you can tell from the first pic.....but seriously I dont think oyu have to be that scared of it...and i think once it looses alot of that mass it wont be so intimidating.......the head on it is quite small and Ive seen quite a few pictures of it out and about with you..so you seem rather relaxed around it....the only time i would say be cautioius is during feeding time and just make sure its locked up at night so you dont end up having an unexpected cuddle buddy........

"I MISSED YOU!!! BUT MY AIM IS IMPROVING!"....

2 Texas Leucistic Ratsnakes
1 Coastal Carpet Python
2 Royal Pythons
1 Snow Corn
1 Bloodred Corn
1 Lavender Corn
1 Black Black Albino Ratsnake x Snow Corn (with possibe Leuscistic genes)
1 Uncontrollable Inner monster
...& an evil twin.

MY RICE CRISPIES TOLD ME TO DO IT!
Old 22-10-2007, 08:37 PM
5 Star Member

I think the worry is founded to be honest. Yes he's fat and probably a little slow, but he's still an 8 foot snake. He probably couldn't kill you, but he'll give you a good run for your money, especially if you're on your own.

But then on the other hand; I keep an 8 foot Coastal and I happily get him out on my own.

I suppose there are arguments for both!
Old 22-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Gold Star Member

wasnt that the one someone posted yesterday?

Old 22-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Super Citizen
Default that looks big

i have 8 ft ish coastal and i can handle him to get the weight off i would have him out a lot but if u not feel happy with that if might be a problem and if u do get the fat off he might be very slack and have bumps
ben

good luck where r u based
Old 22-10-2007, 08:56 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTed View Post
wasnt that the one someone posted yesterday?
Yes, I contacted the lady involved and got her to post here and the America (.com) version for suggestions.

The suggestions basically mimicked what I told her.

The good thing is; she's accepted there is a problem.
Old 22-10-2007, 09:12 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

I'd say that's a Coastal x Jungle Intergrade, does look to be a little overweight but is easily reversible, I feed mine one approriately sized rat every 10 days.
w - www.BloodBallReptiles.com
f - www.Facebook.com/BloodBall
a - Available Blood & Ball Pythons