Reptile Forums banner

DECREASING Humidity for Corn Snake

13K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Heart4Darts 
#1 ·
I've recently moved into a flat which isn't very warm at all and I'm fairly sure the cold outside temperature and the warm internal temperature of my snakes tank is causing the high humidity levels. I worried about causing R.I's....

Any tips for decreasing humidity?? I've just gotten rid of damp substrate and moved the water bowl to try help but is there anything else I should do??

Cheers,

Josh

#4 ·
Are you getting a lot of condensation?
I used to live in a flat without heating so if I used humid substrate like orchid bark I got a lot of condensation while it dried out when first used.
Just wipe it all up and it goes eventually.
Change your substrate for something like beech chips or aspen that isn't humid. Or leave the substrate out to dry before using it.
Increase the ventilation as this reduces humidity.
Put the water bowl at the very cold end.
Can't think of much else you can do.
If you're worried for a while put him on newspaper, it maybe that it's just taking a while for the heat and humidity to settle down in the new environment.
Only other thing to do is get a portable heater to raise the temps in your room.

#5 ·
would you be able to get a radiator that you can keep on 24/7 even if only on low? this should help with keeping the immediate external ambient temps stable and take the damp edge out of the air. our room temp is always 85 degrees but i know thats not possible with everyone!
i also agree with what nelly says as if you get a humidity build up on your house windows good ventelation helps this, so that really makes sense!

#7 ·
Use newspaper a substrate, increase ventilation, smaller water bowl even? And make sure it's well away from the heat source

#8 ·
first question and most inportant before you do anything is....
what % is your humidity?
and how have you checked this?

#9 ·
I disagree, measuring humidity is so hit and miss, the humidity meterer belong in the bin.
Best way to tell is by your snake and your eyes and hands.
You can feel high humidity when you go in the viv/rub.you can see it, check for moisture on the glass/rub.
And lastly if your snake is hydrated,sheds eats and is in good health, leave it alone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.