best method to get a snake to let go - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 28-05-2011, 10:50 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1978 View Post
100% right there mate! Also maybe i'm being dumb here and its already been done but have any of the reptile product manufacturers made a bite stop spray yet?
Not that I know of mate?
To be honest, My aunt used to have a petshop and used to run a rescue through it and at home.
I used to help her out at the weekends when I was about 11 I done it for years.
She had a burmese python approx about 14-15ft although not entirely sure but was deffo 14ft the last time it was measured.
Because she had so many animals to get through this particular day she rushed around and attempted to get most of the reptiles dealt with feeding them.
She went to give Eddy a rat, (without the forceps) and it missed the rat completely and began to constrict her.
Her son shaun came running in paniking as you do shouting what do we do.

It happned so fast it was untrue, the snake had both her arms traped, was potentially bigger and stronger than any of us.
None the less we got it off her merely by uncoiling the tail..
it made a right mess of her arm and it was extremely swollen.

From that day on I always said I would never have a snake that size.
I am small, my biggest snake would have to be a common boa at around 7-8ft in leghnth, that is a nice managible size for me.
Anything bigger than that and in my opinion people are asking for trouble.

I say that because I seen with my own eyes what one of those snakes can do, and I know just how heavy and strong they can be.
If I went out and bought one and something happned I would not stand a chance...

Even then on top of the boa tanks I have vinegar there for if a need or reason ever comes, despite them being an okay snake, I am still small and it could still do me some damage if one grabed me the right way, or should I say the wrong way.
Mainly it is just using common sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazare Slytherin View Post
Depends on the size of the snake, if I was being constricted by something that was potentially killing me, I would not think twice about pouring a bottle of vinegar into its mouth.

Also running the head under the tap is also supposed to be a good one for most snake types.

With utmost respect, and carefully looking at a situation where a risk is involved and using precautions, the hope is that would not need to happen.

Some might say it is a cruel thing to do, but I really dont care, if it is a case of my life or the snakes life I would weigh the fact out that I could get the snake off me and it might end up ill for a short time and make a recovery rather than loosing my life.
It is okay someone saying I would go to the bathroom and do this and that, but really a snake that is 5 times your own body weight and 10 times the stregnth how would you think you would be able to carry a snake that is killing you to the bathroom in time.
For that reason it might be a good idea to have some kind of spirit or vinegar near the snake at all times.
Why the spirit? well if you dont want to use it on the snake you could always neck a bottle while it happens lol.

For smaller type snakes water spraying, running head under a tap etc are all good options.
But then most snakes will let go on their own anyways, anyone who has kept snakes could probily tell you that there is a difference between a feeding strike and a defensive one.

No disrespect to you what so ever, because I completely agree, but I thought about it, if I had a pretty big retic/burm constricting me, and if were talking about it potentially killing me, having the snake around my neck, just wondering at what point would I think about getting a bottle of vinegar. As I say, no disrespect what so ever. Just a little mental image.
Old 28-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazare Slytherin View Post
Depends on the size of the snake, if I was being constricted by something that was potentially killing me, I would not think twice about pouring a bottle of vinegar into its mouth.

Also running the head under the tap is also supposed to be a good one for most snake types.

With utmost respect, and carefully looking at a situation where a risk is involved and using precautions, the hope is that would not need to happen.

Some might say it is a cruel thing to do, but I really dont care, if it is a case of my life or the snakes life I would weigh the fact out that I could get the snake off me and it might end up ill for a short time and make a recovery rather than loosing my life.
It is okay someone saying I would go to the bathroom and do this and that, but really a snake that is 5 times your own body weight and 10 times the stregnth how would you think you would be able to carry a snake that is killing you to the bathroom in time.
For that reason it might be a good idea to have some kind of spirit or vinegar near the snake at all times.
Why the spirit? well if you dont want to use it on the snake you could always neck a bottle while it happens lol.

For smaller type snakes water spraying, running head under a tap etc are all good options.
But then most snakes will let go on their own anyways, anyone who has kept snakes could probily tell you that there is a difference between a feeding strike and a defensive one.
If in such a situation you're mobile enough to get vinegar (or a bottle of Listerine / alcohol spray) and pour it down the snakes mouth I'd say there are much better options - you're probably not under much threat as you'd probably be free enough to keep it away from constricting vital areas, i.e. the neck and simply wait it out or maybe uncoil it yourself if there's nobody around.

I love threads like this how the Indiana Jones snake stabbing types come out of the wood work. Seriously, lets say Steve D gets attacked by Rosie, where should he keep the knife? On his adventurers belt, or should he casually walk to the kitchen? "RFUK - promoting machetes in the snake room since 2011".
cbreakenridge and Puck like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-andrews View Post
whats your best method of getting a snake to let go once u have been bitten ?

im a fan of mouth wash in misting bottle
Ive been bitten lots of time's from the hatchlings 2 the adults you can make the let go by open the mouths but i just wait till they let go as i dont want 2 hurt them.

and mouth wash is probs not the bast idea ever
1.1 Breaded Dragon
1.1 Leopard Geko
and one mad lab cross

Old 28-05-2011, 11:00 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreakenridge View Post
No disrespect to you what so ever, because I completely agree, but I thought about it, if I had a pretty big retic/burm constricting me, and if were talking about it potentially killing me, having the snake around my neck, just wondering at what point would I think about getting a bottle of vinegar. As I say, no disrespect what so ever. Just a little mental image.

Well it is really for the keeper to determine isnt it?
At the point of getting a bottle of vinegar is basicly when the snake bites you and coilds begin to wrap...
the snake is not going to uncoil ontil the head has nothing to grip a hold of, in which case it might be worth making sure if risks are there like living by yourself that a little thought, no matter how bizare or unlikely it is going to be, but that little thought could save a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeple View Post
If in such a situation you're mobile enough to get vinegar (or a bottle of Listerine / alcohol spray) and pour it down the snakes mouth I'd say there are much better options - you're probably not under much threat as you'd probably be free enough to keep it away from constricting vital areas, i.e. the neck and simply wait it out or maybe uncoil it yourself if there's nobody around.

I love threads like this how the Indiana Jones snake stabbing types come out of the wood work. Seriously, lets say Steve D gets attacked by Rosie, where should he keep the knife? On his adventurers belt, or should he casually walk to the kitchen?
If you have a snake attack you, a potentially large one and a bottle of vinegar is sitting on top of the viv, in the room you are being constricted that is good... my point is in that few seconds you could do something about it..... saying there is other options is likely to waste valuble time.
and as said a snake will not stop uncoiling ontil the head has nothing to grab a hold of..

That is my point.
If there are other options that the keeper could consider then fair enough, but stabbing a snake etc I agree is something I would only ever consider in extinuating circumstances.

But as said with the right common sense and respect for the animal you are dealing with, it should not happen
Old 28-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by king snake daz View Post
Ive been bitten lots of time's from the hatchlings 2 the adults you can make the let go by open the mouths but i just wait till they let go as i dont want 2 hurt them.

and mouth wash is probs not the bast idea ever
i first used mouth wash when a 10-11ft retic grabbed my leg and started pulling me to the ground worked a treat let go in a flash i know the alchol is bad but if u go for a none alchol one its fine failing that a bottle of vodka is good for post bite to get over the shock
Old 28-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
i first used mouth wash when a 10-11ft retic grabbed my leg and started pulling me to the ground worked a treat let go in a flash i know the alchol is bad but if u go for a none alchol one its fine failing that a bottle of vodka is good for post bite to get over the shock
A 11ft retic was "pulling" you to the ground?
Old 28-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeple View Post
A 11ft retic was "pulling" you to the ground?
it had hold off my legs and was stopping me walking its body was up round my waist
Old 28-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Regular

Quote:
wow are adult snakes are all most 6 foot never been bitten by a 10/11 foot one i would have done a poo when was this?
1.1 Breaded Dragon
1.1 Leopard Geko
and one mad lab cross

Old 28-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by king snake daz View Post
wow are adult snakes are all most 6 foot never been bitten by a 10/11 foot one i would have done a poo when was this?
i did in my boxers was a scary scary moment it happend last year was kinda my own fault as it was due to be feed the next day but i got it out as it had done a BIG poo thort id be safer to get it out this way turns out i was wrong

Tags
best way