Reptile Forums banner

Snake shopping list

3K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  knotism037 
#1 ·
Hey
I already own a yearling snow corn, and have been planning on buying more snakes for monthssss! Only the other day my mum FINALLY said that after my exams she'll let me buy more :mf_dribble:

So I wrote a list (I was excited beyond belief :lol2: ) of snakes that I'd like to eventually own. I understand that there's a lot to consider when buying more snakes, quarantine procedures, the amount of work increases, have to buy more food, bedding e.t.c. I've seriously thought it through :)

My list as of today (I keep adding more :blush: ) ;
Ghost Corn
Caramel Motley Corn
Bloodred Corn
White sided black rat
Albino Cali King
Western Hognose

Plus hopefully some other king/milk snakes, maybe an MBK {:

any more ideas you guys think I should consider?
and looking at my list so far, do you think it's worth me going to Kempton Park in August to try and pick up a few? :D (the date coincides pretty nicely with results day and my 16th birthday, hoping my parents are feeling generous :whistling2: )

Thanks!
Sam

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice lil list you got there. Kings and rats are fabulous snakes! Hope you do well in your exams....you should then have a very happy mum who will let you have anything you want :lol2: at least your not asking for one of the giant snakes and are being realistic and doing your research. Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide to get :2thumb:

Reactions: Neidr
#3 ·
spotted pythons should be on every ones wish list imo :2thumb:

#4 ·
hmm spotted pythons, I'll write them on the list of snakes Im researching (as well as my 'shopping list' I have another longer list of snakes to read up on, planning on doing 2 a week, so far I've done 1 :whistling2: spotted python added!)

what are they like handling? just found one care sheet on them and it says they're pretty docile, but it's probably better to hear straight from someone with experience {:

thanks for the replies!:2thumb:
Sam

#7 ·
anyone got an opinion on kenyan sand boas?
been reading up them today, they seem quite unique (I'd like to get good experience keeping a range of snakes with different husbandry needs)
looks like they'll be added to my list :blush:

#8 ·
i don't like them,remind me of skinks without legs... and i don't like skinks lol.
I've heard they are great pets though and must admit they do look interesting!
pm
RutherfordReptiles on here, he keeps a sand boa and loves them :2thumb: i'm sure he'll be happy to give you some advice and what not.

As for spotted pythons, like many snakes, they can be a little nippy as babies but it's nothing to worry about. I have two adults and 2 little babies, none of them bite me at all. they are fantastic to handle, always exploring. They have a fantastic feeding response too, they are dustbins! lol.

#9 ·
hi mate go luck with the exams and welsone to the addiction/hobby
If you want something with different husbandry requierments Id go for something arboreal like a ATB, Just know that they arent normally handlable but are awesome snakes!

Oh and by the way you spelt your username wrong its "neidar" if yoy live round me!? :lol2:

#10 ·
hmm yeah when I mentioned kenyan sand boas to my friend, he said they had, I quote, 'ugly faces'..I think they look pretty interesting! :flrt: oh okay thanks, i will pm him if I do end up seriously considering getting one or two :2thumb:

(mooshu, by mate I'm assuming you think I'm a boy..I'm a girl :Na_Na_Na_Na: although calling me mate is fine with me aha!) cheers for the good luck! and if I'd known how addictive snakes are, I would have got into them earlier, would have had more time to build my collection by now aha! ATBs do seem intriguing, although they seem like something I should go for after building up my confidence with other snakes first : victory:
and I've never really heard Neidr being pronounced by anyone from up your way! :p (pretty hard to pronounce even for a welshy! :whistling2: )

thanks guys!

#11 ·
(mooshu, by mate I'm assuming you think I'm a boy..I'm a girl :Na_Na_Na_Na: although calling me mate is fine with me aha!) cheers for the good luck! and if I'd known how addictive snakes are, I would have got into them earlier, would have had more time to build my collection by now aha! ATBs do seem intriguing, although they seem like something I should go for after building up my confidence with other snakes first : victory:
and I've never really heard Neidr being pronounced by anyone from up your way! :p (pretty hard to pronounce even for a welshy! :whistling2: )
Sorry MATE I didnt realise you were a girl! :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders so Im sure you will do fine with whatever snake you decide to go for! :2thumb:

Just a thought though, It would be better if you research a oad of snake a decided on species and then got that one instead of getting snakes to prepare you for the one you want. I had a milksnake then decided I liked BRB's so got one of them then a ATB and then a GTP, As long as you do your research properly and realise the responsibility your giving yourself then theres no such thing as a "beginners snake"
Im not saying that you are doing this but a lot of people seem to and I dont think its right!

BRB's are another good one, Not as big as BCC's or BCI's and still as amazing if not more amazing (depending on who you ask :lol2:)

#13 ·
aha cheers mate :lol2: it's so hard deciding which snake to go for next though, I'll probably end up getting an ATB as well as smaller colubrids and boas!

ahh yeah one of my friends has a CRB, so I started reading up on them and BRBs, they seem nice {: need high humidity though don't they? guess it's another 'different' type of keeping like I wanted though :lol2:

Junior13reptilez I like your thinking! ;D ahh I know, my mum knows hognoses as 'that cute little snake' :whistling2: both unusual looking snakes though I guess that's what draws people to them!:mf_dribble:

#16 ·
just thought I'd update this since I have some news

getting a western hognose in a few weeks :2thumb: contacted someone who has just hatched a clutch, reserved one, will be getting it couriered once it's had a few feeds :)

can't wait :flrt:

#17 ·
Ghost Corn
Caramel Motley Corn
Bloodred Corn
White sided black rat
Albino Cali King
Western Hognose
Nice list Sam, I have a hatchling Bloodred and she's a superb wee snake, so pleased with how she's doing with me & I'm getting my 2nd snake next month, a hoggie hatchling woohoo I can't wait. I've got a list of snakes I'd love to have which I must stop adding to :lol2:

#19 ·
I know, the list just keeps growing :blush:

a corn then a hoggie, that's what I've done :D both amazing snakes (although I've yet to experience keeping a hoggie, reading experiences I can just tell they're fascinating)

lt me know how you get on when you do get the hoggie :2thumb:

#20 ·
I know, the list just keeps growing :blush:

a corn then a hoggie, that's what I've done :D both amazing snakes (although I've yet to experience keeping a hoggie, reading experiences I can just tell they're fascinating)

lt me know how you get on when you do get the hoggie :2thumb:
Indeed hoggies are fascinating snakes, I love their personalities and their "I'm a big rattle snake I will eat you" attitude they have, least that's the jist I've got from reading posts lol and their squished up faces are so cute.

I will let you know how I get on with my hoggie when I get it (will add you as a friend so I remember your name lol)

#25 ·
Hey
Ghost Corn
Caramel Motley Corn
Bloodred Corn
White sided black rat
Albino Cali King
Western Hognose

OMG I want one! Ill be looking for one and a Florida Blue Garter at Donny. Dont you think the White Sided Black Rat looks like a chess board xD? Ill have to call it Chester xD

#30 ·
I'm like a big kid myself at the moment as well. My wife doesn't like snakes, but has relented as long as I convert the shed to a reptile house. The good news is I'm close to finishing my reptile house and it's Donny on Sunday!

I had a boa (bci) at the top of my list, but after spending some time with a great guy from this forum and his amazing snakes, I'm going to get a burm first. I've got plenty of room for vivs, as the shed is 12 ft x 8ft. A large viv would fit nicely in one end of the shed, leaving the rest of the shed for smaller vivs.

I've put 18 power sockets in the room, which should be plenty!

Just for the record, as well as bcis and burms, other snakes that I like include: Bulls, British Grass Snakes, Rough Green Snakes, Yellow Anacondas and a few others.....

Apart from the Grass Snakes (which I have some reservations about), I'm pretty sure I'll have all of these within a year or two. As long as I can get some CB, the grass snakes will be here one day as well. Despite the fact that I know where to get baby grass snakes for free, I won't take a wild one.

#31 ·
Will be hard to get CB grass snake's mate, as they need documentation to prove there CB I belive, and to get proof there CB the seller has to get image's/video footage of the mating, laying of egg's , incubation of egg's and hatching of egg's all in captivity, then they send these of to someone, I think this is what has to happen to be able to sell them anyway, I might have got muddled up, either way, it's not very simple.

#34 ·
Hey
I already own a yearling snow corn, and have been planning on buying more snakes for monthssss! Only the other day my mum FINALLY said that after my exams she'll let me buy more :mf_dribble:

So I wrote a list (I was excited beyond belief :lol2: ) of snakes that I'd like to eventually own. I understand that there's a lot to consider when buying more snakes, quarantine procedures, the amount of work increases, have to buy more food, bedding e.t.c. I've seriously thought it through :)

Ghost Corn Will have a few of these at kempton and diffused (bloodred) versions
Caramel Motley Corn
Bloodred Corn
White sided black rat
Albino Cali King
Western Hognose

Plus hopefully some other king/milk snakes, maybe an MBK {:

any more ideas you guys think I should consider?
and looking at my list so far, do you think it's worth me going to Kempton Park in August to try and pick up a few? :D (the date coincides pretty nicely with results day and my 16th birthday, hoping my parents are feeling generous :whistling2: )

Thanks!
Sam
Have a look at the 3/4 gene corn morphs, some of them :mf_dribble:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.