Reptile Forums banner

Is it worth building kits to sell?

409 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Connah 
#1 ·
As the title says.

Ive noticed recently people asked me about it costing fairly little for my setup compared to other peoples and realised how everything Im getting is dirt cheap but the same stuff (company, model etc eg. Vivexotic viv) for the viv, heating, lighting etc and wondered if there was much money to be made for example making up kits of ceramic heating and selling them or lighting kits etc or even the full viv with all the bits. Is there much to be made and a market for people buying the kits premade or would it not make me much (and with weight and postage could it cause me to lose money rather than gain money)?

Ive seen like setups at £170 for the same as im building but they havent been selling (eBay etc with no buy it nows) so just wondered if anyone else knew?

Thanks

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thats what I was bothered about, people not wanting to buy the full setup up which is why i was tempted to build up kits of each part of the setup and/or sell complete setups aswell

Ye i saw that one but they have P&P on top and cos I was buying more stuff it worked out cheaper for me to use seapets cos Id already qualified for free postage lol

#5 ·
Ye that made it about a quid cheaper but I saved money on the rest of the stuff I bought lol

#6 ·
No one else have any ideas? Im not just talking about a complete set up, I mean like buying ceramics, cable, plugs, holders and fittings and selling it as a heat kit, maybe add a thermostat in there and bundle em together, stuff like that. Although I am also thinking of the full kit with how ebays selling them atm

#7 ·
could be possible if you made species specific electric setups, I can get a full 48 inch viv for £60 but the electrics is what ends up costing the most for me and all the different brands and compatibly with each other, mainly because everyone keeps asking if 2 things work together creating doubts in my own head.

#8 ·
Ahh right. First thing Im thinking of doing is getting a ceramic bulb and fittings etc with a heat guard for about £40 but im not sure if people would get it or not. Then I might get a thermostat bundle going too, then maybe the light bundles (although they will just be undercupboard strip lights) and then look into UV strip lights although Ive never looked into these so I wouldnt know much about them yet. Then obviously get a snake heat and light kit up which would be the light, thermostat, bulb, holder, fittings etc

Ye I know cheap vivs are available. I just bought a new LX36 for less than £44 delivered and yet theyre selling on eBay for £57 cheapest ive seen

#9 ·
what would the lights, etc be? exo terra , zoo med ?

sorry im just being nosey :)

i was thinking of doing the same , but when it came to wholesalers couldnt find any that would sell to me, as i am not a registered company etc

#10 ·
Neither, I would build the kits up from scratch. Strip lights im using in mine are probably going to be Eterna but Im not sure yet. Going to be standard under cabinet strip lights as opposed to exoterra and zoomed which do the same thing but at expensiveish prices as they market the products on being reptile specific

Not sure about UV or Fluourescent lights yet as I havent looked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.