Do snakes know it's dinner time - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 26-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Posting Deity
Default Do snakes know it's dinner time

Because of the species of snakes I keep, I find it less of a likelyhood of my hands, fingers and sharp little teeth coming into contact if I defrost the snakes food in the garage rather than in the room where the snakes are.

Today, I went in and got the feeding tubs ready for the snakes that cohabit and put a snake in each tub leaving one in the viv. So I have 3 snakes in tubs and the rest in vivs .... one in each. When I turned round after putting the last snake in, I noticed that all the snakes in vivs had all left their hides and were watching me, even the trinkets that you only ever see when feeding had their heads out of their hides watching what I was doing.

Do they know food is on it's way ? There is no way they can smell it as it is in the garage outside... so do they know it's on its way through recognising my 'ritualistic' behaviour.

All I know is that it has it's drawbacks. When I did get the food, they were all ready and waiting for it and if it wasn't for a pane of glass I would have a 6 foot radiated rat snake attached to my nose.

It did occur to me that even dumb little fish like guppies all accumulate at the water surface ready for feeding when you lift aquarium lids... so it makes sense that they could recognise more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Ultra Citizen

I defrost all my rats downstairs, take them upstairs to warm up, by the time I am in the room with the first RUB lid off, my Male Royal is out sniffing around, as is my Female King.
Old 26-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Super Citizen

My anery corn snake is exactly like this.. he doesn't come out usually, but twice i have fed him lately around 6 pm still light, he has been straight out, this is after taking a water bowl out of his viv everytime he eats, so maybe they do recognise and take it on board!

Rmac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Posting Deity

Maybe there is a lingering smell in the feeding tubs that they are all picking up on?

Mine are in a rack so they all come out as soon as the first one is fed as they can all smell it.
Old 26-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 24

all my boas wake up when food is bein thrawed anywhere in the house. lol
Old 26-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Super Regular

my corns know when its dinner time
4.1.0 Corns
0.1.0 Geko
2.0.0 Dogs
1.0.0 Cat
Old 26-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by **louise** View Post
Maybe there is a lingering smell in the feeding tubs that they are all picking up on?

Mine are in a rack so they all come out as soon as the first one is fed as they can all smell it.
The tubs are always cleaned and disinfected. I leave the snakes in them all night with a hide and water bowl... they invariably leave a smelly calling card
Old 26-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
The tubs are always cleaned and disinfected. I leave the snakes in them all night with a hide and water bowl... they invariably leave a smelly calling card
nice!

Maybe they do know. I know if I am late feeding mine say I go 10 days instead of 7, some of them are out and about and seem to be hunting, like they know they should have been fed but I really don't know if snakes think that way.
Old 26-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to Ultraviolet

My snakes let me know when they are hungry. So it's not so much them recognising my 'ritual', it's me recognising theirs. I doubt mine know food is on the way.
you know the snake people wait patiently before they strike.and guys you know this is true (salazare sees all) mwaha

Old 26-06-2011, 11:12 PM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 3

I always defrost my retics rats on top of his viv over the spot where the bulb is.

A large rat takes about 7 hours to defrost properly and his behaviour changes dramatically after about 2 hours, even when its still largley frozen.