Hog nose still not eating - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 04-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Forum Citizen
Exclamation Hog nose still not eating

Hi
Ive posted previous post's, if you haven't already read them.
I bought 2 Hog nosed snakes at the most recent Doncaster show. At first they both wouldnt eat. But I eventually got one to take a pinky but the other still doesnt seem interested. Just to let you know, I scented the pinkys with tuna juice. I left boiled egg white in its rub last night, just got back from work and nothings been touched. Doncaster show has been over a week now. So whats the next thing I should try to get my hoggie feeding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Posting Deity

I would wait another 5 days maybe a week and try again. Leave them alone, not handling, do not disturb them other than water changes. Others may offer different advise, that's just what I would do. Actually, that is what I'm doing. My boy is fasting again right now!

Edit: did you split them up now into their own tubs?

Last edited by **louise**; 04-07-2011 at 04:49 PM..
Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by **louise** View Post
I would wait another 5 days maybe a week and try again. Leave them alone, not handling, do not disturb them other than water changes. Others may offer different advise, that's just what I would do. Actually, that is what I'm doing. My boy is fasting again right now!
I'd leave them too, try leaving the mouse over night after the 5 days.
You can also try braining the mouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Posting Deity

They do need time to settle in and leave 5 days between each feed, offer too often and all you will do is stress the little one. Leave the pinkie in a toilet roll tube overnight if necessary as they will often eat at dawn. If after 2-3 weeks it still hasn't eaten then is the time to try scenting. Tuna or salmon juice is good and I have found cod liver oil works too.
THE-COBRA likes this.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Forum Citizen

I got told to feed them every 2-3 days by someone. So should it be every 5 days? The most recent pinky I tried to give it was scented and I left it in a toilet roll tube over night. But it was still there the following afternoon.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-COBRA View Post
I got told to feed them every 2-3 days by someone. So should it be every 5 days? The most recent pinky I tried to give it was scented and I left it in a toilet roll tube over night. But it was still there the following afternoon.

I feed my hatchlings every 5 days and they thrive.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
5 Star Member

As difficult as it is, you need to relax a little. Given your previous threads it sounds like you have probably been faffing about with them too much given that Donny was only about 8 days ago - scenting with tuna juice and egg white shouldn't be necessary yet I wouldn't imagine.

I hope they start feeding for you soon as I understand how concerning it can be, but try to relax a little bit about it otherwise it will just be longer and longer before the snake feeds as they'll be getting stressed out by repeated feeding attempts. Take heed of the advice to just leave them alone, try again in several days and fingers crossed they'll start by themselves.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Vern26

As has been said above and in other threads. Leave them alone for 5 days no handling or attempting to feed ad try again. The more you try the less likely it is that it will feed.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Gold Star Member

Yes, once a regular pattern is established then feed every 2-4 days.

Until then leave well alone. Offer every 5 - 7 days. Only change water. And stop fiddling with things...
Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Forum Citizen

Our male albino hognose ate the first time we fed him after we bought him then didn't eat again for 8 months! He started eating again after we moved house and I've heard that taking them for a little drive can (for some reason) stimulate them to start eating again and I think that must be what happened with our one. A week isn't long enough to start fretting yet so I would just follow the advice others have given.
THE-COBRA likes this.

Tags
eating , hog nose , pinky , rub , snake